Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Title: The Gathering
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Pages: 359
Published: April 12th, 2011
Publisher: Harper (Harpercollins)
Goodreads Summary:
"Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island. 
Until now.
Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.
In The Gathering, New York Times best-selling author Kelley Armstrong brings all the supernatural thrills from her wildly successful Darkest Powers series to Darkness Rising, her scorching hot new trilogy. "

Review:
          I never read any of Kelley Armstrong's previous books, but I knew I had to check this one out, what with all the good things I've heard about it! And I am so happy I did! I devoured this book right up (no pun intended). Cougars, a naughty boy, and an isolated town! A must!
         Until now, I never read any books with cougars in it (not that I can think of). And I totally loved the cougars in the book! It's kind of like werewolves but with cats.. but anyway. Maya is a very lovable character, and is easily relatable. Her best guy-friend, Daniel, is so protective and so friendly, I absolutely loved him! I wouldn't say he was like a brother to Maya, because there were definitely some little intimate moments they have together. And Rafe... the mysterious new (ish) bad boy in town. The boy that goes out with every girl, just to turn them down. He goes after Maya, and she eventually falls for him. I didn't so much like Rafe as I did Daniel. Sorry Rafe!
          The plot and setting was right on! The fact that they were in an isolated town with forestry surrounding them, made it all the more mysterious. The plot was well thought and well written. Everything flowed together nicely, with not too many suspenseful scenes, and the should-be boring scenes were hinted with a bit of spark so it  keeps your attention!
         All in all, I really enjoyed The Gathering, and Kelley Armstrong's writing. I am definitely looking forward to the next installment in the series!




No comments:

Post a Comment