Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Title: Angelfire
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Pages: 453
Published: February 15, 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins
Goodreads Summary:
"This debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action.

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember."

Review:
When I first heard about Angelfire, there was TONS of hype about it. I finally decided to read it for myself. While it was action-packed and a great read, it didn't exactly live up to my expectations.
The characters were inspirational in this book. Ellie and Will were just great characters, with their perseverance coming through each fighting scene. I thought they were a great team. I loved how Will was her Guardian, but in the end, Guardian Angel. Ellie was just a typical teen with a slightly busier life--being a Preliator.
The creativity in the book was immense. The reapers were certainly unlike any I have read before. But the angels did twist into the story, along with Lucifer and God. I really enjoyed the scenes with Ellie and Will fighting against the reapers, they surely kept me on the edge of my seat, even though it was a bit gruesome and graphic.
Now you might be wondering, if I liked basically everything about the book, why didn't it live up to my expectations? I'm not quite sure about it myself. I did realize, that this is a very slow paced book. Except for the fighting scenes of course. But I found myself constantly having to take a break every 20 pages or so, not being able to finish the book in one sitting. I'm not sure why, it was just slow paced. I liked the plot, the creativity, the characters.. It was just slow. I loved Courtney's writing style as well, just not sure why it didn't live up.
However, I am very excited to read Wings Wicked, the next installment in the Angelfire series! I'd love to see more Ellie and Will. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment