Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, September 12, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Pages: 323
Published: March 2, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Goodreads Summary:
"Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her."

Review:
             I really enjoyed this book. There were many fun moments, laugh out loud moments, blended in with creepy, blood-curling ones. The beginning was a TAD slow for me. I thought it was going to be one of those books with so many different types of creatures it gets overwhelming and confusing. But Hawkins does a good job of describing and balancing out information.
            I think Jenna was an amazing character. With everyone else's thoughts at Hex Hall about Jenna, you (at first) think that Jenna is a freak. A killer. But throughout the whole entire book, she is kind to Sophie, and I learned to love and trust Jenna. I thought Sophie as a character was a little too skeptical about herself too often. She doesn't trust herself, but she is likeable. It's Archer Cross that made me sort of cringe about this book. He was completely rude to Sophie in the beginning.. and then he develops a crush on her while dating Elodie? I wasn't crazy about that idea.
             I thought the plot for this book was GREAT. Very creative, unlike any that I've read! The ending was very intense and tragic. When I read about Archer being part of The Eye, it freaking FREAKED ME OUT. I instantly disliked him. I was a little confused when he escaped. Why did he? But perhaps my question will be answered in Demonglass. When Sophie figures out her great-grandmother is a demon, and is in the woods with Elodie, she goes after them and kills Alice (great-grandmother) with the demonglass sword on the statue in the cemetery. During this part of the story, I got a little confused on all of the new information being thrown at me. I think Rachel should have slowed it down a little there, but it was easy enough to understand the main idea.
                Overall, I thought this book was unlike any book I've ever read, and I definitely recommend it! Reading Demonglass next! Hooray!


No comments:

Post a Comment