Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Luminous by Dawn Metcalf

Title: Luminous
Author: Dawn Metcalf
Pages: 371
Published: July 7, 2011
Publisher: Dutton Childrens Books
Goodreads Summary:
"As reality slips and time stands still, Consuela finds herself thrust into the world of the Flow. Removed from all she loves into this shifting world overlapping our own, Consuela quickly discovers she has the power to step out of her earthly skin and cloak herself in new ones-skins made from the world around her, crafted from water, fire, air. She is joined by other teens with extraordinary abilities, bound together to safeguard a world they can affect, but where they no longer belong.
When murder threatens to undo the Flow, the Watcher charges Consuela and elusive, attractive V to stop the killer. But the psychopath who threatens her new world may also hold the only key to Consuela's way home."

Review: 
           I'm not even sure if I should be reviewing this book, since I can honestly say, I didn't finish it. I want to say it wasn't horrible, but it was pretty close. Sadly, I only got about 200 pages in, and by then I knew it wasn't for me. I was actually pushing myself through it after about 100 pages, hoping it would get better, but it only got creepier.
          The reason why I didn't like this book very much was most likely because of the plot and creativity. It was like nothing I have ever read before, perhaps too creative. The fact that Consuela could change skins was kind of...sickening for me? I don't know, it just didn't feel right. I also think Dawn Metcalf could have talked about the Flow more and could have described it more clearly, because I was baffled the whole time. All of it was sort of confusing and odd, and I just didn't enjoy the new idea. 
          There was actually one thing that I did like about the content in this book. The writing. The way she describes the surroundings of the Flow was fantastically beautiful and descriptive. It was dreamy and mystical, and I actually kind of liked that part of the book. And one more other thing, the cover! SO GORGEOUS. But I guess I know now that I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover..
           But do give Luminous a try! I know many people who were drawn into the world of the Flow, but I guess I just couldn't get into it!



           

No comments:

Post a Comment