Home About Policies Reviews Features

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Review: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Title: Graffiti Moon
Author: Cath Crowley
Series or standalone? Stand alone
Pages: 264
Published: August 1st 2010 originally by Macmillan Australia
My rating: 5 hearts♥
Graffiti Moon

Goodreads summary: Let me make it in time. Let me meet Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers."

It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.

Racquel's thoughts:
My favorite book reviewer/blogger ever Ari, over @readingaftermidnight just loved this book so much she proposed to it and let me tell you, things are about to get ugly in here so if you can't handle hair pulling, nail clawing and cat fights get out while you can because Graffiti Moon is mine. I won't do sharing when it comes to this book so somebody is going down and I already know it won't be me!! And if you can't already tell this is about the best book ever... just saying.


I want to buy this book and cuddle it to sleep every night, I want to shove this book in everyone face so they can read it and see how amazing it is but at the same time I don’t want anyone to read it so the relationship between me and Graffiti Moon will be extra special. Have you ever read books and you love this much? Well if you’re lacking a book mate I suggest you pick up Graffiti Moon ASAP to find that book mate because I know everyone will love it!!
Graffiti Moon has everything, the realistic characters, the hilarious dialogue, the profound writing, the interesting plot… let’s just put it this way: Graffiti Moon is perfection.
I loved how it was hilarious but still poetic in its own way at the same time. There was a part where I laughed so hard my brother started laughing with me even though he had no idea what was going, he just said my laughter rubbed off on him.

My heart went out to the characters, especially Ed. It broke my heart when he talked about school, about Bert (his boss at work) and about the money problems, my heart literally clenched every time. Lucy was a great main character also, not once did she annoy me like most main characters always end up doing. Her quest to find Shadow, her love for art and for the people she loved is inspiring really!! Also she’s hilarious, what more do you need?! Even the secondary characters were memorable, sure some did stupid stuff (looking at you Dylan) but you can’t help but want to know these people in real life and actually go through the plot of this book and speaking of the plot, I loved it! I have never read anything about graffiti or art like this before, I haven’t even read anything this well done in a while!! I felt the passion both Ed and Lucy towards what they did and it made me want to go the nearest art gallery and appreciate the arts! This book takes over the course of one night and while I like those books they always fall a little short for me because I always what more time with the characters but I didn’t feel like that with graffiti moon, the pacing was perfect. Nothing was rushed and there was nothing left that that was not tied up.

Over all this was perfect all around, even if the middle part kind of wasn’t as good as the beginning because Crowley switched over to telling us more then showing us some events but the end totally made up for that and this book is absolutely one of the best I read this year and it is most definitely going to my favorite shelf.

*sigh* I really cannot convey my love for this

Which cover do you prefer? The US or UK one?

I personally cannot decide. I like the UK one because it relates to the book better but then again if I saw it on a shelf and had no idea what it is or what it's about I probably would not pick it whereas I would pick up the US one.

Graffiti Moon is definitely of the 5+ hearts variety:
Photobucket

First Line:
"I pedal fast."
Teaser:
"... when wanting collides with getting, that's the moment of truth."

Favorite:
"Paint sails and the things that kick in my head scream from can to brick."


Did you read Graffiti Moon? If so, tell me what you thought!! I would love to talk about it:D

(Thank you Random House Children's Books for providing me an early copy of Graffiti Moon to read and review)

Buy Book: Amazon|Barnes and Noble|The Book Depository
Find Author: Website|Twitter


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment