Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Review: Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Title: Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Series: Nightshade #1
Published: October 19th 2010 by Philomel
Rating: 3 hearts
Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
Goodreads summary: 
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

Racquel's thoughts:
Nightshade starts right into action and that how the book continues, Andrea Cremer wastes no time with pointless details and description. It's always bam-bam-bam which works for Nightshade because you don't doubt the world. These people shift into wolves anytime they want? Totally believable! Cremer leaves no room to think otherwise. BUT I was still confused, until maybe 1/3 of the book I didn't really understand who/what the keepers were and I was lost until Calla, the MC spelled it out for Shay, the human boy she saved from getting killed.

The first third of the book to me was so-so. It just showed how bipolar Calla is, one second she wanted Ren (the guy she was in an arranged marriage with) the next she wanted Shay and I was confused out of my mind anyway but after the explanation of who and what the guardians, keepers and searchers are, the book picked up.

I really liked the mystery and suspense of why Shay is important to the keepers, will Shay & Calla get caught doing something they're not supposed to do and of course, down to earth Shay or sexy Ren? Also the romance is HOT-HOT-HOT. I can say I never read anything as sexy as the none graphic HOOOOT scenes in this book, I loved it!

Why didn't I give this 5 stars though?

A lot of the minor characters like the people in Ren and Calla's pack were underdeveloped. I didn't even know who was in what pack and as I read, they were just vague characters in my mind. The other thing that ultimately made the book lose a star is Calla. I don't mind love triangles but Calla was just so bipolar about everything it started getting effy. One second she was cool with Ren, the next she’s slapping him. She ignores Shay for the day then she wants to kiss him. It got on my nerves and could have been handled better.

Other then that, Nightshade is a great paranormal read that I definitely cannot wait to see what happens next in book 2, it ended in a great action-packed way I’m sure everyone loved. Despite minor things, this is a great debut!!And the most famous question ever, am I on team Ren or Shay? Well, how about Calla get’s Shay and I get Ren? Since I’m pretty sure I know who Calla will end up with and I don’t want to support team sexy when he will not win, so I’m team Shay!

By the way, am I the only one who is sad about the new paperback cover? The hardcover ROCKED, they didn't need to change it//:

My rating:




First line:  
"I'd always welcomed war, but in battle my passion rose unbidden."
Favorite: 
"I dont read just philosophy. I went through a rebellious phase when I was pretty young and decided I wanted to be a professional thief. I was reading a lot of Thieves and Kings at the time."
Teaser: 
"I was almost drowning in the heat and mist when I realized he intended to kiss me."




No comments:

Post a Comment