Home About Policies Reviews Features

Friday, November 18, 2011

Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Author: Gayle Forman
Published: April 5th 2011 by Dutton Juvenile
Series: If I Stay #2
Rating: 3 hearts
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
Goodreads summary:
It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.


Racquel thinks:
Where she Went is written from Adam's perspective and since I love books told from guy POV's, I loved this book before I even started it! But to be honest- and as much as I feel pressured NOT to say this- this story was unnecessary. I was happy with the way If I Stay ended and I didn't need closure in a sequel. If this book wasn't from Adam's POV, I probably would have really disliked it.


Racquel likes:
Adam's POV. I love books from guy's perspective and Adam's voice delivered, I felt his angst towards Mia and the anxiety of being famous.


What made this not a 5 star read:
-I liked the flashbacks at first, it was a nice view into Mia and Adam's previous relationship but however, I still did not feel the chemistry between Mia and Adam and just like with If I Stay, the flashbacks got annoying because I just wanted to see Mia and Adam in present time and how they're dealing with being around each other.


-the transitions. One moment it was Adam and Mia in the present bowling then it switched back to 4 years ago. One moment they were making up, the next they were having sex and the next second after that they were arguing. What in the world...


-I'm sure I mentioned this already but WHY ARE MIA AND ADAM GOING OUT? I don't feel any spark between them. Usually even if am not a fan of the couple I still root for them and life would not be complete if they don't end up together but with Adam and Mia, if they didn't end up together I would be happy.


Overall: sure I have my complaints, but like If I stay, I finished this in one sitting. If you want to read it, go ahead. If not, then you're not missing anything out.


Rating: 3 hearts

First line: 
Every morning I wake up and I tell myself this: It's just one day, one twenty-four-hour period to get yourself through.
Favorite: 
I can't imagine what it would be like to have had her company in my head--the comfort that would've brought.
Teaser: 
Mia's eyes reach out to meet mine, and for a second I fear that my facade will fall apart.


No comments:

Post a Comment