Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, December 19, 2011

[Review:] Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published: December 6th by Entangled Publishing
Rating: ★★★★
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
Goodreads summary:
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.
 
Emma's Thoughts: 
I really wanted to give Obsidian five stars. Really, I did. When aliens were mentioned, I was like, 'Oh, alright, I'll give it a go', but as I continued on reading, it only reminded me more and more of I Am Number Four. (Anyone else read that epic book?) It felt like the book was predictable, and that I'd seen it all before. Aliens fleeing from their destroyed home planet, other aliens chasing those first aliens for power, and of course, the awesome to-die-for supernatural powers.

But don't get me wrong. If I hadn't read I Am Number Four previously, this would definitely get a five star (or at least 4.5) review. Katy is a likable protagonist. She even has her very own book blog. Events such as 'Waiting on Wednesday' and 'In My Mailbox' are mentioned - and at this, I had to laugh. Katy is living such an unlikely life, her having a book blog just seems so... ordinary. I guess this is Jennifer's way of saying, 'Hey, even boring people like book bloggers can have extraordinary things happen to them!' And oh, I won't complain if I ever get my own Daemon. As arrogant and cocky he appears to be at the start, you begin to love their hateful banter. Katy doesn't fall head over heels for Daemon at first sight, which is something I liked. And if only someone as delectable as Daemon truly existed!

The other characters in the novel were slightly irritating though. Some totally clichéd. Or you can call it predictable. ***SPOILER*** the true nature of Simon was NOT surprising *** But, oh, Dee's a sweet one. Daemon's the protective older brother (by a whole four minutes and thirty seconds), and there's Dee. You can't help but to feel sorry for her when her only friends are the alien boys and the big, bad, bitch. As unwelcoming these aliens are to Katy, you learn to understand why. Families have to stick close. 

The planet of 'Lux' was nicely explained. I look forward to more details in the rest of the trilogy though. The book didn't end ever so shockingly, but there are still so many questions left unanswered. Onyx (Lux #2) is expected to come out May of 2012 (that's half a year!! D:) but the summary is yet to be released. I want more of Daemon ASFGHJKL.

Rating: 4 stars - the plot seemed a little too similar, but everything else was great! 


First Line: 
  I stared at the pile of boxes in my new bedroom, wishing the Internet had been hooked up.
Favourite:
"We aren't weak. And you're on our planet. How about a little respect, buddy."
Teaser:
"Are you asking if I'm attracted to human girls?"


PS. Does anybody else find it weird that these two models are used on so many other covers?

 PPS. First ever review! Weeew! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment