Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, January 30, 2012

[Review] Destined by Jessie Harrell

Title: Destined
Author: Jessie Harrell
Published: November 17th 2011 by Mae Day Publishing
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Mythology.
Rating: ★★
Goodreads summary: 
When Psyche receives a prophecy gone horribly wrong, she learns that even the most beautiful girl in Greece can have a hideous future. Her fate? Fall in love with the one creature even the gods fear.

As she feels herself slipping closer into the arms of the prophecy, Psyche must choose between the terrifyingly tender touch she feels almost powerless to resist and the one constant she's come to expect out of life: you cannot escape what is destined.
Emma's thoughts: 
Okay, well at least I managed to finish it. So many times during reading this, I thought about putting it down and leaving it there for good.

I did not like it. I think I expected too much from a $1 ebook, especially with such a nice summary. Something about Jessie Harrell's writing bothered me. Sometimes it felt like she was trying too hard, other times, it felt... bland. And this line!: "My brain was a dog chasing it's tail, never quite getting what it's after." I didn't know what to think! I did not get it. Is my brain a dog chasing it's tail? Because I'm not getting what I'm after.
Psyche was annoying to say the least. Eros too. They were predictable, everything was pretty obvious and laid out within the first few chapters. I know, I know, I know she was only following the original plot line, but she could've added more and altered it to perfection. I mean, it's her story. She could've added her own little twist and scene to give it a little 'Harrell'.

And I have to say, Hermes was the only bearable character in the entire book. Psyche seemed fake, Eros was a love drunk idiot who didn't think rationally, and both were impossibly frustrating to read about!

I know it is based on Greek mythology, but I also wanted it to be realistic! I found myself guffawing in some Eros and Psyche scenes. Their love, their connection, it felt so forced. There was no substance, no moment where I swooned and wished I was Psyche. It was totally and completely insta-love. Yes, he is a cupid, yes, he got himself, yes that is how the story goes, but but but it just didn't feel real. I thought that was partly the point of retelling stories. Making it to suit the new age, for it to seem a little realistic? Because honestly, if I wanted to know Cupid and Psyche's story, I could just find it's wiki page and read it within minutes. Really, that's easier.

But don't let my negative review stop you from giving it a go! Apparently a lot of other people liked it and gave it 4-5 stars. This is just my opinion.

Rating: 2 stars- One star because I actually finished it. And another star just because it's Greek Mythology. 
 First line: 
My stomach churned as the smell of ground charcoal and nearly-rancid oil smeared across my eyelids. 
Favourite:
"I can't convince him he's dead. "
Teaser:
"I have too much work to do to listen to you whine anymore. No one stopped dying just because Eros fell in love."

No comments:

Post a Comment