Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, February 6, 2012

[Review] Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Title: Incarnate
Author: Jodi Meadows
Published: January 31st 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers
Series: Trilogy (Newsoul #1)
Rating: ★★★★
Goodreads summary:
NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

NOSOUL
Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

HEART
Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?
Emma's thoughts:

I had trouble getting myself into this book. I blame this on the fact that I started reading it on the plane, got half way, and left it for almost a week.

I love this story though, know that. The whole world, Heart, the people, the idea. I mean, just imagine, living with the same million people, the same souls, having the same past. Imagine being reborn over hundred times, being a boy, being a girl, being elderly, being a child and remembering your past hundred lives. Imagine knowing that no matter how many times you die, you'll come back again, always. Of course, that didn't apply to Ciana, but hey, here's Ana!

I think what confused me most is how? This story isn't set after our civilization, it wasn't set before. This is how I imagine life would be on another planet. With our pianos, of course. Can't deprive Sam of his music!

What really made me smile was the way Ana's character grew and developed through the book. She started off thinking she was a 'nosoul', worthy of nothing, and a disgrace to their world, but Sam.. oh Sam! He's the sweetest and most sensitive lead male character that I've ever had the pleasure of reading about! Their romance is one of the most adorable and swoon worthy stories ever. It's a beautiful piece of work. I admit, I have my own dreams of a handsome boy teaching me how to play piano, properly!

I have to say, all the characters were well written. Each individual person had their own cute, quirky attributes (annoying or not). You grow to love Stef and Sine, who aren't convulsed by the idea of Ana being a 'Newsoul.' They definitely deserve the Awesome People awards.

One of my favourite scenes in this novel is the rededication dance. As much havoc is wreaked afterwards, I feel like this is when Ana finally realizes, she's not a 'nosoul', she deserves her life just as much as the next person does. And Sam (oh, I'm still gushing about him). Please read this book, just for the dance!

I very much enjoyed the journey of reading this book. The last few chapters will blow your mind. The chaos that is created is: Oh. My. Gosh. I am impatiently waiting for the sequel because I know it will be amazing. So much is due to happen, and the mayhem Menehem has brought is bound to set an action-packed journey for the next two books!

I recommend this to: Fantasy & supernatural readers, and maybe you dystopian lovers too!

Rating: 4 stars~ An unforgettable story about self-discovery in a daunting world with no escape.
 

First:
 What is a soul, but a consciousness born and born again?
Favourite:
"I hate being a teenager."
"Why?"
"Hormones."
Teaser:
"Where's the section on music history? I'm sleeping there."

No comments:

Post a Comment