Home About Policies Reviews Features

Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday Fun: TGIF at Greads |11|

Friday, March 23rd - Bookish Trends: What are some bookish trends you are noticing in the literature world today? Is there a particular trend you'd like to see more of?
It seems to me, if you want someone to buy your book, you need to have some sort of supernatural, paranormal creature in your books. Werewolves, vampires, telepaths, fairy's, angels, demons, Greek mythology gods etc. etc. etc. and if you want a double WHAM you might as well sit this paranormal infested world in a dystopian society. Paranormal is VERY VERY IN right now and dystopain is also making a firm stand as the big giant genres in books. That's not a bad thing, there is a reason why those two genres are so big it's because people LOVE them but personally, I'm one of the few who prefers contemporary books over anything so lucky y'all and poor me.

As for trends I'm liking, I wouldn't say this is a trend per se but it's something that is on the rise, even if it's subtly so and that is the new adult genre! Which if you don't know what that is, new adult is books about characters outside of highschools who are still teens so 17 to 19 year olds. As a highschool student nearing graduation (hopefully this year in December!) and being the youngest student of my graduating class annnd being raised with older people, I'm NEVER really my age. All of YA is no longer my thing, some books are just too young and not mature enough for my liking and it has gotten to a point where I'm reading adult contemporary books. That's sad. BUUUT new adult is my current obsession! Since most of the new adult books are contemporary, it's always a win-win for me.
Some of my favorite new adult contemporaries:
Love Story by Jennifer Echols
Relatively Honest by Molly Ringle
What Scotland Taught Me by Molly Ringle 
Have a nice weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment