Home About Policies Reviews Features

Friday, August 31, 2012

Review: Solid by Shelley Workinger

Title: Solid (Solid #1)

Author: Shelley Workinger
Published: July 9th 2010 by Createspace
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Romance.
Rating: ★★★★
Goodreads summary:
Clio Kaid may be 17 and just beginning the last summer before her senior year, but her life is anything but typical.

She's just discovered she was genetically altered before birth and is now headed to a top-secret Army campus to explore the surprising results of the experiment.

Follow Clio and the other teens as they develop fantastic super-abilities, forge new friendships, and find love as they search for answers.
*thanks to the author for supplying me with a review copy of this ebook!*

Emma's thoughts:

I think I fell in love with this book from simply the blurb. I am, if anything, a sucker for these types of novels. Sci-fi, genetic modification... anything science-y... I'm a complete nerd like that. I'm not even joking. You have no idea how disappointed I was when I found out I couldn't do all three science for my year 11/12 examinations. 

Anyways, what I love about this book is that it's not like other sci-fi books. It doesn't keep you in the dark (not at the start at least!) about the truth of these 100 teenagers. Shelley Workinger gives us the facts from the beginning. These teens, while still mere embryos, their DNA was messed with, and yes, they do have 'abilities'; there are the jocks, there are the intense musos... and then there are those who don't really do anything but stand around all day... 

Solid follows the narration of Clio Kaid. She's such a strong and lively protagonist. Witty and almost always ready with a smart comment, she's honestly a delight to read. Shelley Workinger has a lovely prose that keeps you entertained and on your feet. 

I especially love the development of each character. Besides Clio, there's Bliss, Jack, Garrett and Miranda. They're all different and beautifully unique. Bliss is a sweetheart who's too good for Garrett, but I adore Garrett with his guts and determination. And oh Jack... He's the perfect match for Clio. I really wished to see more of their relationship though. There only seemed to be very few significant moments of their relationship. I just couldn't get enough of them! 

I really wished this novel was longer. I remember reading up to a stage, checking the location, and being so surprised to see I was already over 60%! I felt like the story had barely started! That being said, it only encourages me to get onto the next book and find out what happens next. It doesn't really end on a cliffhanger, but Clio and her friends have only just begun the journey of discovering the truth about themselves.

Overall rating: 4 stars~ Science fiction makes me so happy :)

First:
 As per his nighttime routine, he checked the security panel to ensure that the system would alert him of any intrusions on the perimeter he'd set around the lab.
Favourite:
The bigger the ego, the messier the fall...
Teaser:
"That'll be you next, dog boy," Garrett told Nate. "Woof woof."

No comments:

Post a Comment