Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, March 30, 2013

(Review) Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Title: Of Poseidon
Author: Anna Banks
Series: Of Poseidon, #1
Published: May 22, 2012 (Feiwel & Friends)
Rating: Staying in Tonight
Format: Hardcover, borrowed from library
Summary: Galen is strong, protective and gorgeous, with striking violet eyes and a body to make you shiver - and that's just when he's in human form. He's from the House of Triton, god of the sea, and he's searching for a girl with the gift of Poseidon to save his brother from marrying a fraud. Emma is a human. Or so she thinks. When Emma meets Galen on the beach, they both sense a sizzling chemistry. But can Galen convince her that she holds the key to his kingdom - without letting on that he's falling for her?
When I started Of Poseidon, I completely expected something super serious with lots of watery brooding. I guess it was the cover, combined with the fact that it was a paranormal. But whatever the reason, my expectations were along certain lines that the book did not end up following. But in this case, I am so glad! It absolutely skyrocketed past my expectations! The book was serious, hilarious, romantic, and captivating, all at once.

I really liked Galen's name, as well as his personality. He was totally cute and awkward. And when he had his paranormal-boy moments of obsessive behavior? Yeah, Emma actually CALLED him on it. WHAT. That's right. You go, Emma! I love that she actually felt comfortable enough with him to do that. And I love that he respected her enough to listen. While they both definitely had their faults, I liked them overall.

Galen's friends and family (who were all basically one unit; even the non-related ones were like family) were such great characters! The interactions between Galen's best friend and his sister were absolutely hilarious, and I loved trying to figure them out.

Banks did some great world-building with the whole story of the Syrena, how being a mermaid works, and all the incredible details. I also liked that the book was told from both Galen and Emma's points of view. However, it was also odd, because Emma narrated in first person while Galen's sections were told in third. I didn't like that at all; it was jarring.

And then we have The Ending. I was pacing back and forth on the sidewalk in front of my house while I read it, and when I reached the end, I slammed to a halt and literally shouted, "WHAT?!" Because it was the end. I had thought it was a standalone. But it was all over. Finished. And I was left dangling off a cliff of epic proportions, and when I raced inside to Goodreads, I discovered how long it was going to be until the next one. May 28th? YEAH, MAY AS WELL BE NEXT CENTURY. (I'm nothing if not invested in my books.)

But massive cliffhanger nonwithstanding, I loved Of Poseidon! This was my first mermaid book, and I could not have imagined a better introduction into the subgenre. There was a little bit too much cheese at times, but not overwhelming amounts. While Of Poseidon definitely had its serious moments, it did a tremendous job of showing that paranormal books don't have to be angst-ridden to be great.
I’m betting Cinderella didn’t feel this foolish, but then again, Cinderella wasn’t as clumsy as an intoxicated walrus.

I’m betting Cinderella didn’t feel this foolish, but then again, Cinderella wasn’t as clumsy as an intoxicated walrus.

I mean, life-changing decisions take time to make. Time and meditation. And physical space between my lips and his.

No comments:

Post a Comment