Home About Policies Reviews Features

Thursday, April 4, 2013

|Review| Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Angel
Author:
Series:  The Infernal Devices #1
Published August 31st 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry Book
Genre: paranormal YA
Rating: A
Goodreads summary:
Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

I'm not a big paranormal reader but I did enjoy the first three books of the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare and I've had Clockwork Angel sitting on my shelf for a few months now waiting for release so I could devour the series in one go. And what's not to devour? Steampunk + historical setting + great heroine + two great boys + well written paranormal world = a must read book & series. 

Tessa: she's strong and likeable but due to the 3rd person POV, I didn't feel 100% connected to her. There was a barrier between us but despite that, I liked her and rooted for her because she's quite the badass heroine.

Secondary characters: at first, Charlotte was so nice, she made me roll my eyes. However I really grew to love her when I realized she had other qualities besides being so kind and angelic. I also really, really loved her husband, Henry. I would not mind reading more about them! On the same note, I also loved Sophie and Thomas. I wanted more page time for all of the them. However, Jessamine is a horrible, sorry excuse of nephilim and she should drown in the Thames. But all in all, a great, well developed group of secondary characters. Magnus Bane is present in this book but it was very brief and I wouldn't even consider him a secondary character but more on the tertiary level. But It's clear he will have a bigger role in Clockwork Prince (book two in the series) and I'm looking forward to that. 

Jem: there is nothing NOT to love about Jem. #TeamJem for the win, okay? He genuinely kind, funny and he put up with Will which say A LOT about him. We learn a lot about Jem and his family which just made me want to jump into the book and hug him.

Will: I surprised myself by not falling in love with Will since EVERYONE loves him but why would I love him? Will is rude to the point of cruelty at some parts of the book. It's obvious and it's even stated that Will has not has the easiest life however, both Jem and Tessa have also been through horrific stuff but that doesn't mean they were mean.  
"Jem says you lie to make yourself look bad," she said. "And perhaps that is true, or perhaps he simply wishes to believe that about you. But there is no reason for excuse for cruelty like this."
That quote sums up exactly what I have to say about Will. Multiple times, we see that there is more to Will than meets the eye but that does not change the fact that he was a jackass. Do I hate Will? No, I can even say I like him but after everyone's praises about him I'm just shocked. I just find the whole "I'm a bad boy but not really I just have issues so I'm gonna protect people around me by being an asshole so they don't get close to me" routine pathetic pathetic pathetic. Grow a pair and man up, buddy boy. Don't think I despised Will, because I didn't. I know he's an extremely important character and hating him will ebb my enjoyment of the series so I'm trying my hardest to see the good in him. And there is some good. 

Romance: Sure I adore adore adore Jem but Will + Tessa had better chemistry. Tessa could have Will, I can have Jem, and we can live happily ever after.

Action + plot: Great and even grotesque at parts. There was a twist that I did not see coming at all so that was awesome! (I *always* read spoilers so I'm never surprised.)

Setting: I BEYOND loved the London, 1878 setting and the time period and it really made the book that much better however I felt that the dialogue felt to modern at times. But eventually, I got over that
Rating: [A] The Shadowhunter world is just so fleshed out so revisiting it again is just such a pleasure. Plus plain and simple, this book is extremely well-written and reading it was a real treat. If you haven't read this series, DO IT!
First: The demon exploded in a shower of ichor and guts.

Favorite: “Are you implying that shreds of my reputation remain intact?" Will demanded with mock horror. "Clearly I have been doing something wrong. Or not something wrong, as the case may be." He banged on the side of the carriage. "Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel. I seek scandal and low companionship.”

Teaser: “There's plenty of sense in nonsense sometimes, if you wish to look for it.”
If you haven't read Clockwork Angel go buy it right now (it's a book worth buying!) and if you have read it, what do you think? I'm I being too harsh on Will?

No comments:

Post a Comment