Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, April 27, 2013

|Review| Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Prince
Author:
Series:  The Infernal Devices #2
Published December 6th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Genre: historical, paranormal YA
Rating: A
Goodreads summary: 
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.

I don't read many series so I'm not familiar with Second Book Syndrome (SBS) but I can safely say that Clockwork Prince does not suffer from SBS. I even dare say that Clockwork Prince is just as good, if not better than Clockwork Angel.

When it comes to Clockwork Prince and the Big Major Plot that's spanning the series, nothing of extreme importance happens. a few things were set up for the climax that's sure to happen in the next book but really, Clockwork Prince was all about the characters and that worked really well!

We learn more about Tessa and same with Clockwork Angel, I still felt the barrier between Tessa and I because of the 3rd person POV. I like her and think she's awee-soome but to be honest, forgettable compared to other characters. Though I still like her! Anyways, we get more page time for Henry and Charlotte (YAY!), the couple who run the London institute Tessa is staying at and more of Sophie, a servant (but really so much more valuable than that) at the institute, which makes me happy happy happy since I LOVE Sophie. I could read an entire series with Sophie as the main character. Sophie simply is b a d a s s.

The book also finally reveals what happened to Will and I did say in my Clockwork Angel, that will is "rude to the point of cruelty" and while it's obvious that "there is  more Will than meets the eye but that does not change the fact that he was a jackass" BUT, and it PAINS me to say this, Cassandra Clare really sheds some light on Will's character and behavior and dammit, it is a freaking GOOD excuse to his behavior! I did not for one second think that I was going to let Will off the hook but grrrr, Cassandra Clare hit me with a good one and my resistance broke. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel for ya, Will Heronalde.  Do I forgive him? Not completely. I still stand by the "rude is rude" statement but yeah, Will is back on my good side. Watch out, Jem! (Yes, I still prefer Jem. Tessa could have Will. I can have Jem. Happily ever after.)

Like I anticipated, Magnus Bane DOES get a bigger role in this book and can I just say, I LOVE Magnus. LOVE him. Woolsey Scott is introduced thought he's a teenty tiny minor character but he did provide a few laugh out louds. Gideon Lightwood was also introduced and yup, another character I loved. Also, readers who read Clockwork Prince I have a Magus related question for you!

Pretty much, my reaction while reading this book is: "this book is perfect." I laughed. I was heartbroken. Things got intense at parts. I was shocked here and there. I laughed some more and I just enjoyed the hell out of Clockwork Prince and I took my sweet time reading because I wanted to savor it.  It was mostly character driven and Cassandra Clare made that WORK. The setting and time period are also just treat because steampunk is always fun to read and the paranormal world is definitely the best I've ever encountered (I've only read a few paranormal books but still!).
Rating: [A] An amazing, amazing installment. Read. This. Series. 
First:
The fog was thick, muffling sound and sight.
Favorite:
"In that case mine's 'genuphobia.' It means an unreasonable fear of knees."  
"What's the word for a perfectly reasonable fear of annoying idiots?"
Teaser:  
"I asked him why he did not end his life, and he said he still felt one thing, and that was fear-- fear of what lies after death."

No comments:

Post a Comment