Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sizzle & Swoon: Our Favorite Historical Romances

Welcome to another historical romance portion of Sizzle & Swoon! Check out Alexa's for a book chat discussion on a book all three of us LOVED while here at The Book Barbies, all three of us are sharing our:
Our Favorite Historical Romances
(Remember that (+A) (+S) (+R) means that (+Alexa), (+Sharon), or (+Racquel) agrees with that pick!)
 
ALEXA'S PICKS
1) Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas (++++++R, YES!) - This novel will always and forever make any list of romances for me. I adore Sebastian and Evie, and I love how their relationship goes through stages! (Thanks to Sarah MacLean, because I found out about this book through her.)

2) A Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare (+S) - This is my favorite Dare novel so far, just because the road trip is perfectly delicious and the heroine is so darn intelligent and innocent and sassy. It's quirky and cute and just plain fun!

3) Ransom by Julie Garwood - This was one of the romances I first read when I was just starting to read romance, and it's still one I read whenever I can. The story is very fanciful, but I do adore imagining the lengths one would go to to protect the ones you love. The stakes are very high; but love triumphs in the end.

RACQUEL'S PICKS
1) What I Did for a Duke by Julie Anne Long (+A) (+S) - My god, this is one of the best written books I've ever read. Every scene and word is deliberate and Julie Anne Long is a MASTER. The dialogue is simply the best and by far, this book has the best last chapter ever (not the epilogue, but last chapter) when I'm bored/happy/tired/sad/excited/hungry/or any feel out there, I reread the last chapter and I laugh, cry, swoon and die. Thank you Julie Anne Long for giving us this book.

2) Confessions from an Arranged Marriage by Miranda Neville - so the hate-love trope is pretty much my favorite and not only is this an arranged marriage book, but a hate-love too! And not your regular I-say-I-hate-you-but-I-actually-love-you hate-love book, no, Minerva & Blake *truly* hate each other which is WHAT I WANT FROM HATE-LOVE! Why does this type of hate-love rocks? It makes for a better read (when done right like it is in this book!) because we see them grow to tolerate each other, like each other then finally fall in love. Plus this is my *first* historical romance I've read so it has a special place in my heart.

3) Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas - A marriage in trouble story that made me sob. I really, really hate misunderstandings but I can take them in Sherry Thomas's books. I loved seeing this couple fall in love. Again. A beautiful book!

SHARON'S PICKS
1) When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn (+A) - Did you see my favorite tropes yesterday? Yeah, this book covers them ALL. BOOM. And you wonder why I love it?

2) A Notorious Countess Confesses by Julie Anne Long - I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this book! I was afraid nothing could live up to the standard set by What I Did for a Duke, but this one did! The chemistry was unbelievable, and I loved the whole dynamic between the leads. I literally stayed up until 3 AM on a school night to finish it, and it was worth every minute of sleep deprivation.

3) Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas (+R) - There are so many things I love about this book! If you saw Racquel's description of Derek Craven the other day, that certainly encompasses a large chunk of it. But really, the whole book is just wonderful. Lisa Kleypas can write a pretty dang good romance; what can I say?

Do you love any of the books we listed? What are your favorite historical romance novels that we must read? We love recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment