Home About Policies Reviews Features

Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday Five: Historical Romance Edition (#06)

Book: Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage by Jennifer Ashley
Series: Highland Pleasures, #2
Published: July 6, 2010 (Berkley Sensation)
Rating: Lunch Break Read
Thoughts: The first book in this series, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie is a favorite of mine, and I really enjoyed Mac and Isabella's build-up in it. Unfortunately, they did not quite live up to that in their own book, but they did possess a magic all their own. I loved how art was so big in this story, with Mac being a painter. I also appreciated how realistically Ashley addressed marriage, with it requiring things beyond simply love, such as trust and respect. By the end, I absolutely, 100% believed Mac and Isabella's HEA.
If you thought your dare would make me blush like a schoolgirl, then you do not know much about schoolgirls.

Book: Your Wicked Ways by Eloisa James
Series: Duchess Quartet, #4
Published: March 30, 2004 (Avon)
Rating: Staying in Tonight
Thoughts: Perhaps my favorite thing about this book was the focus on music. I love how it provided a reason for Helene and and Rees to interact even when they did not desire to. I loved watching them grow together and discover they could make the marriage work. The low point was that it unfortunately had a pointless epilogue that weakened what would have been a hilarious, strong, and memorable ending. It was still good, though. Also, it should be noted that I listened to this on audiobook, and it was very well done!
And when the Reverend Holland brought himself to use a word like damn, he really meant it.

Book: Proof by Seduction by Courtney Milan
Series: Carhart Series, #1
Published: January 1, 2010 (HQN)
Rating: Stay Up 'til 2 AM
Thoughts: Jenny is one of my all-time favorite historical romance heroines; I love her spine and strong sense of self-worth. There were great twists, a fantastic side storyline with Ned (who had his own book after this one), and a beautiful romance. Garreth simultaneously broke my heart and made it beat faster, and he and Jenny were simply perfect for one another for myriad reasons. I loved this book so much!
I don’t care what your title is. When I see myself, I see a woman worth more than a modicum of your respect. And don’t you dare touch me if you disagree.

Book: A Night Like This by Julia Quinn
Series: Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2
Published: May 29, 2012 (Avon)
Rating: Staying in Tonight
Thoughts: I love that I can always, always count on Julia Quinn for a fun historical romance that is guaranteed to make me giggle and swoon in nearly equal measure, and this one was no exception. It had great witty banter, and my cheeks actually hurt from smiling so much. Also, I was begging for Hugh and Sarah's book while reading this one, so I'm happy to announce that it comes out this October!
Time stopped. It simply stopped. It was the most maudlin and clichéd way of describing it, but those few seconds when her face was lifted toward his...they stretched and pulled, melting into eternity.

Book: Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer
Published: February 20, 1989 (Putnam Adult)
Rating: Staying in Tonight
Thoughts: Oh, this book. Racquel made me read it after she fell in love with it, and I am so thankful! It was such a beautiful story. It moved incredibly slowly, but the friendship that formed as these two lived together was simply wonderful. I cried so often at this book, I honestly don't even understand it. Everything just moved me so much; it was that powerful. Rgardless, it was amazing. I highly recommend it, especially since it is set in such a unique time period.
You’re the first thing I ever had to come back to. How could I not come back to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment