Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Top Ten Books We Were Forced to Read {37}

Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This Week's Topic:
Top Ten Books We Were Forced to Read

Racquel's picks
01. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - this is by far my favorite required school read. I really just  enjoyed every page. I actually read a lot of good books for schoo! I loved The Narrative Life of Frederick Douglass then we had a dystopian unit sophomore year so Anthem (my favorite), Brave New World, 1984, The Road were all good. Then Junior year we had a transcendentalism unit and we read Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau. My teacher LOVED Thoreau, like we had to have a moment of silence EVERY time we said his name. Which was a lot. But I ended up loving Emerson more. Self-Reliance was my favorite essay by him.

02. Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas - my best friend forced me to read this. THANK YOU AURORA I OWE YOU MY LIFE FOR INTRODUCING ME TO HARDY CATES.

03. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare - once again, my best friend Aurora made me read this. If I didn't owe her for Hardy Cates, I owe her for Will and Jem.

04. A Lady Awakened by Cecilia Grant - after Ruthie Knox recommend Morning Glory, which is now one of my all time favorite books ever, I have to to read every book Ruthie Knox recommends because I trust her judgement.

05. Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros - I never heard of this book before but Sharon picked it out for our readalong with Alexa and yeah, THANKS SHARON.


Sharon's Picks
01. . What I Did for a Duke by Julie Anne Long. I will love Racquel FOREVER AND EVER for forcing me to read this book (and many others, but this one takes the cake, closely followed by Jellicoe Road). It's amazing, and I discovered the rest of the amazing Pennyroyal Green series!

02. . Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas. My friend from LJ - who also got me into historical romance - convinced me that I should give the Travises a try, even though I wasn't sure about a Kleypas contemporary when she wrote such awesome historicals. I cannot even imagine my life without the Travises.

03. . Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. I blame this on my high school curriculum. After my failed attempt at reading this book at age 12 after reading and loving Jane Eyre, I probably wouldn't have picked it up again. Thankfully, I was forced to, and it became one of my favorite books.

04. . Ethan Frome. I didn't like this book when I read it for the first time, but then I had to read it again in college. It was so good! Although I don't love everything about it, I appreciated it a lot more.

05. . Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty. I basically blame the entire book blogging community for this one! No one particular person, but I felt like I absolutely needed to try it out. And I'm so grateful! So much love for the first two books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment