Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Top Ten Swoon-Attack Books!

Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This Week's Topic:
Top Swoon Attack Books!
Alexa's Picks:
01. Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas: I seriously just get shivers of the pleasant variety when thinking about Sebastian. In this book, he becomes the hero that every damsel in distress wants to rescue her. Even though he's not perfect, it's still easy to fall in love with him.

02. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas: I am irrevocably in love with Chaol Westfall. He's a capable man in uniform, but his true vulnerability is apparent here. There's something irresistible about him - steadfast, true, loyal, kind, smart and just passionate about who he loves.

03. Ransom by Julie Garwood: You never forget one of your first, and this is true of Brodick. He's just exudes so much power and strength, even as he reveals his softer side through little actions in this book. I love that he's a true hero in this one, rescuing the damsel in distress!

04. Crown of Embers / The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson: I literally just finished reading this yesterday, and I can tell you -- it brings the swoons! A passion for Hector will just creep up unexpectedly, especially as he demonstrates his intelligence, loyalty, passion and strength.

05. Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas: All you need to know is that Hardy Cates needs to exist in real life. He's the perfect balance of hot and sensitive, stealing the scene every time he appears. He's just an absurdly perfect male specimen. (HARDY CATES 4EVAAA!!)

Racquel's picks:


01. Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers: So if I had to pick ONE book as the ultimate book that made me swoon? GRAVE MERCY. My heart missed a few beats while I read Grave Mercy. The romance was slow burn and I was DYING. This book was on the long side but I still finished it in one sitting. I couldn't get enough of Ismae and Duval.

02. A Christmas Promise by Mary Balogh: I read this in December and at the time, it was the first book that truly made me swoon in a LOOONG time and I soaked all of it in!! It's such a sweet historical romance and it was so lovely seeing the couple fall in love.

03. The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead: ADRIAN AND SYDNEY SEXUAL TENSION TO THE MAX! In this book, Sydney and Adrian get closer and closer and o h m y g o d. Swoon-attack x100000000.

04. What I Did for a Duke by Julie Anne Long: THIS DIALOGUE will give you major and multiple swoon-attack! Also, this book has *THE* best last chapter ever written. It makes me laugh out loud, it makes me cry, it makes me swoon and it makes me laugh while crying and swooning. All in one chapter. No joke.

05. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost: I'm actually listening to this right now on my commute to college. Usually I'm the weirdo driving and pumping her arm as she dances to EDM music but now I've become the weirdo giggling and squealing in the car.

Sharon's Picks
First of all, I'd just like to say that I agree with SO MANY of the above picks! Blue-Eyed Devil, Devil in Winter, Crown of Midnight, Indigo Spell, What I Did for a Duke, and Halfway to the Grave are SO magnificently swoon-worthy! Now a quick note before my list. I was going crazy trying to decide which books to include and which to leave off. Swoony books are my thing! I love so, so many of them! So I had to narrow it down to YA. Then narrow it down further to YA contemporary. Then just basically go with the first five that popped into my mind, because otherwise I simply would have driven myself insane and then wound up with 15 honorable mentions, anyway. So, without further ado, here's my list!
01. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. I know, I know. I'm a broken record. In fact, I was going to put Anna and the French Kiss in this spot, but at the last minute, I just couldn't do it. I put my heart in Wes Baker's hands nearly a decade ago, and I never really got it back. To be honest, I never even asked for it.  (Duh.)

02. Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson. I was honestly surprised by how much swoonage this one brought along for the ride! After reading it, I finally understood what all the Morgan Matson fuss was about.

03. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. Oh, Jase Garrett. I do love my alphas and my bad boys, but a genuinely good guy can jump in and steal my feels so quickly I don't even know what's happening. Sam and Jase's romance brings swoons a-plenty in their endearing, realistic fashion.

04. Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty. Marcus Flutie holds this mysterious power, okay. He has a ridiculous name and dreadlocks when you first meet him and you think "This is the famous Marcus Flutie?" And then he opens his mouth and Jess gets to know him and your life is never the same again. (I approve)

05. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta A million thanks to Racquel who forced encouraged me to finally pick this one up and who read along with me. This book makes you swoon in a special kind of way that can never really be duplicated. (I approve)

There you have it! Some of our favorite swoon-inducing reads! Now, your turn! What are some books that are sure to get YOU reaching for the smelling salts before Ryan Gosling can say, "Hey Girl"?

Also, in case you missed it and were wondering: Alexa is joining us today as part of our week-long joint Beauty and the Beast celebration, A Tale As Old As Time. Be sure to check out her blog for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment