Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, April 28, 2014

|12 in 12| Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

12 in 12 is me committing to read 12 books in 12 months. These 12 books will be old books that I've had on my TBR since the dawn of time and have been pushed aside for all the SHINY. 
Check out my 12 in 12 intro post to learn more! I reviewed Sloppy Firsts for January, Audrey, Wait! for February and Lord of Scoundrels was my March pick and it was another winner!

Title: Lord of Scoundrels
Author:
Published first in January 1995
Genre: historical romance
Rating: C+
Goodreads summary:
Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And When Dain's reciprocal passion places them in a scandously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction...

Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him...and then for forcing him to salvage her reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place -- and in some amorous position. And if this means marriage, so be it -- though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remian aloof...and stell his heart to the sensuous, head strong lady's considerable charms.
I’ve earned my professional historical romance badge after reading this book because its definitely a staple for historical romance fans. Though I haven’t read Pride & Prejudice so lets say I earned my first degree black belt. I still have ranks to go through, though.

Anyways, I can definitely see and understand why this is one of the most historical romance books.

1) A REAL Rake!!! Sebastian Leslie Guy de Ath Ballister, Marquess of Dain, Earl of Blackmoor, Viscount Launcells, Baron Ballister and Launcells is a legitimate, true, no regrets rake! Hallelujah!! There are so many rakes in historical romance but only .5% of those who claim to be rakes are actual rakes. The only other well done true rake I’ve read is the King of Rakes, Sebastian St. Vincent. It must be Sebastian thing.

2) UGLY HERO! Say whaaaat!!! So I know about Lord of Scoundrels because I’ve seen in it all the “all time favorite” lists and such and I was aware of it but I never read a summary of what its about or a review so I wasn’t aware This Hero is NOT The Most Beautiful Human Being Ever.
He removed [Jess] from the general category labeled "Females" and gave her a section of her own. He made a note that she didn't find him revolting, and proposed several explanation: (a) bad eyesight and faulty hearing, (b) a defect in a portion of her otherwise sound intellect, (c) an inherited Trent eccentricity, or (d) an act of God.
Since the Almighty had not done him a single act of kindness in at least twenty-five years, Dain thought it was about bloody time, but he thanked his Heavenly Father all the same, and promised to be as good as he was capable of being.
3) JESSICA TRENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jess is the heroine and oh my god. On a scale of one to ten, I give my love to her a NINE BILLION. Jessica Trent is a certified bad bitch. She is my hero. She is my role model. I want to be Jess. I love Jess. I want to read about more Jesses.

4) The romance. Zomg. Put a real rake and a bad ass together and you get a whole lotta swoon. I mean, who know unbuttoning a GLOVE would be hot? Get it.
"I tell you Dain is a splendid catch. I advise you to set your hooks and reel him in."
Jessica took a long swallow of her cognac. "This is not a trout, Genevieve. This is a great, hungry shark."
"Then use a harpoon."
I give the romance itself 5 stars, The Bad Ass Awesomeness that is Jessica Trent a ten million stars and the book it self 3 stars. Why?

Towards the end it did have the crazy, nuts events that most historical romance book has. Why does every book gotta go out with a kidnapping/shooting/world war 3 or whatever? Im definitely all for character drive, subtle romances. I don't need crazy scenarios because all they do is (usually) jar the pacing and make me less interested and more likely to start skimming. There is also a sub plot that I shall not name here due to spoilers that SHOULD have made me happy because I love that particular trope, but man, in this book it was just drama and eye-roll and skimming inducing.

Overall, I can definitely see why this is such a favorite of so many people. The heroine is one of the best heroines I've read. The hero is no whining rake either, he is a straight up bad boy that will be reformed. The romance was swoony as swoony can get and I loved every minute of it. The other subplot, crazy stuff? Not so much. But I bet I'll reread this and just read the good parts because the good parts were GOOD.

Rating: [C+] This is a classic for a reason! Awesome romance but the plot at the end became meh.
First:
In the spring of 1792, Dominick Edward Guy de Ath Ballister, third Marquess of Dain, Earl of Blackmoor, Viscount Launcells, Baron Ballister and Launcells, lost his wife and four children to typhus.

Favorite:
He never had been, never would be, safe from her.
Femme fatale.
Still, there were worse ways to die.
And Carpe diem, he told himself, as he collapsed against her.

Teaser:
"This is not only mortifying, but inconvenient. I am in lust with Dain. Of all times, now. Of all men, him."

No comments:

Post a Comment