Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Top Ten Gateway Books & Authors

Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This Week's Topic:
Top Ten Books & Authors

Racquel's picks
01. Lisa Kleypas
My best friend convinced me to read Sugar Daddy when I was becoming a serious reader and when I finally found out about Blue-Eyed Devil a year later, I read it and never looked back. Hello, favorite author! I've read about 20 books by Lisa Kleypas and I thoroughly loved every single one of them. There is a special place in my heart with the words LISA KLEYPAS carved. She introduced me to contemporary romance and my reading life has changed ever since.

02. Sarah Dessen
I bet Sarah Dessen is a gateway author for a ton of readers and that makes her even more amazing. The Truth About Forever and This Lullaby are some of the first YA books that I read and they also indirectly led me to blogging!

03. Confessions From an Arranged Marriage by Miranda Neville
My first historical romance book! and I LOVED it!! And now I cannot stop reading historical romance. I literally have to stop myself otherwise, I would read nothing but historical romance but I can't ignore contemporary YA!

04. Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
One of the first non-MG books that I read while learning English. It was a beautiful book when I only understood half of the words, it's a beautiful book 8 years later.

05. Kimberley Reeves
Kimberley Reeves put her contemporary romance stories online to read for free and I read ALL of them. Multiple times. When I say *ALL* I don't mean 3-4 books, I mean 10+ books and whenever I was bored, I would reread my favorites. I've memorized some of them, no joke.


Sharon's Picks
01. Sarah Dessen & Meg Cabot. These ladies were my only real introduction in YA books! I basically skipped straight from Babysitters Club to Mary Higgins Clark with very little in between. However, my tiny town library did have some teen books, and I happened across both Sarah Dessen and Meg Cabot during my teen years. They showed me that books with teen protagonists could be fun and/or deep!

02. Carolyn Jewel. Scandal was my very first historical romance book! Though it was Lisa Kleypas who ultimately hooked me a couple books later, I did love this book! And it opened a whole new world for me. I've never looked back. ♥

03. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I read Jane Eyre when I was 12, and it was my very first "grown up" classic! Thankfully, I loved it. I cannot even tell you the amazing reads I would've missed out on if I had been biased against exploring the classics.

04. Sarah Mayberry. When I first started reading romances (again), I found myself harboring a bias against Harlequin/Silhouette authors, mainly because I'd been less than impressed with a couple of them. Sarah Mayberry (who only wrote for the Blaze line at the time) showed me that there were talented serial authors, too! I shouldn't just brush them all aside. This is still something I struggle with sometimes, but I am a lot more open now than I was once upon a time.

05. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost. This was my first foray into world of adult paranormal/urban fantasy. Though it's not my favorite subgenre and probably never will be, it can be crazy awesome when I'm in the mood for it! (Plus, Bones! ♥)

No comments:

Post a Comment