Home About Policies Reviews Features

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

|Review| The Troublemaker Next Door by Marie Harte

Title: The Troublemaker Next Door
Author:| Twitter)
Published June 3rd, 2014 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Erotic contemporary romance
Rating: B+
Goodreads summary:
He can fix her sink, but can he wrench his way into her heart? 

Flynn McCauley never thought he’d be so cliché as to fall for the girl next door. But when Maddie calls him over to help fix her faulty sink, he’s a goner. Too bad the fiercely independent interior designer wants nothing to do with him. Even worse, he’s forced to rely on the advice of his nosy brothers—and his five-year-old nephew!—to figure out how to make her give him a shot.
I love contemporary romance but I have a hard time find a contemporary romance book that I'll like (besides from trusted authors). Finding the right combination of sweet, emotional, sex and love is tough. I mean I like a sexy book but I need the couple to fall in love for a reason besides earth-shattering sex. I requested The Troublemaker Next Door on a whim from NG because of the bright cover and summary, without having read any reviews, and I'm SO glad I did!! 

The book opens up with Flynn McCauley babysitting his nephew Colin. Then we meet Mike, Colin's dad and the oldest McCauley brother. Brody is Flynn's best friend (and business partner. Hot plumbers!) and a McCauley in every way but name. Last there is Cameron, the youngest McCauley who's different then his blue-collared brothers.  I love this group! They were funny, I understood why they were so close and had each other's backs. Mike's neighbor is a romance writer and likes to sit and listen to group of brothers talk for research and I totally would too. Can we get a book that's McCauley brothers reality TV?

Next door to Mike we have the heroine Maddie and her roommates Abby and Vanessa. Maddie is the feisty redhead, Abby is her shy romance writer best friend and Vanessa is Maddie's intense and slightly psycho cousin. These three also had a great relationship and an interesting dynamic because they were all rather different from each other but their bond was strong. Maddie didn't let her cray cray cousin walk over her and I loved how feisty she was! I just loved reading about the three roommates just as much as I enjoyed reading about the McCauleys (which is saying something!).

If I looked at Marie Harte's other books, I would have realized that this book would be SEXSEEEH ,but I didn't so it definitely caught me by a surprise. A good surprise! Flynn is a filthy dirty talker and if you're not a dirty talker... then what purpose do you have? So I would definitely classify this as an erotic contemporary romance. At one point I thought we would have a threesome but nope. I'm actually pretty sad about that. I shall mourn The Threesome That Never Was for as long as I remember this book. Anyways, there were PLENTY of sex scenes but it wasn't all about the fun in the sheets. Flynn and Maddie's romance was so fun to read because of the awesome banter and chemistry. From Maddie and Flynn's first meeting, I knew they were meant to be:
"I spent ten fucking years working to get to that place. [...] But this insult! In this day and age, with so much bullshit about being PC and sexual harassment has no place in the workplace, and my boss just made me feel him up in his own office during business hours. The perv! I feel like a total—"

She looked up to see a huge, green-eyed hunk filling out a white T-shirt and jeans like he'd stepped out of a Man of the Month calendar. One of them. A man. The enemy. 
Marie Harte summed up the nature of Flynn ad Maddie's romance pretty well at an interview with The Reading Cafe:
"When Flynn McCauley meets Maddie Gardner, sparks fly. She hates men. He’s not into relationships. She lost her job. He fixed her sink—but that’s not all he wants to fix. When a ride home turns into a lot more, Maddie and Flynn decide to keep things strictly casual. Strictly sexual. They won’t date. And they end up not dating…a lot. But soon Flynn wants more from the wary redhead. If he can just keep her distracted long enough to burrow under her skin, Flynn might convince Maddie they have a shot at real happiness. That’s if Maddie can overcome her past to take a chance on the future."
The Troublemaker Next Door is a sexy romance novel that made me laugh out loud, it had great banter between the hero and heroine, great banter between the McCauleys AND great banter between three ladies and to add icing to the cake, it had a cute five-and-a-half year old boy. This series opener sold me for the next next three books and I've already marked my calendar down for Brody & Abby's book, Cameron & Vanessa's book, and last but certainly my most anticipated one, Mike's book which has no info beside a title and cover (I'm guessing that What to Do with a Bad Boy is his book). Of course the book I'm most looking forward to is last!

Recommend to: contemporary romance fans, anyone looking for a sexy hawt read, anyone looking for a romance on the funny side rather than the angsty side. This is a book to read while you're lounging by the pool or beach because of the laughs and hot hot hotness it will deliver. The Troublemaker Next Door is for romance fans all and since its summer, the time to read it is now!

Rating: [B+] Sexy and funny, a terrific combination of a start to a series that promises to deliver more laughs and swoon!
The McCauley Brothers Series

I love these covers! They're hot and they match but they're not exactly alike. I also looooove the titles of all the books. They're so fun and scream contemporary romance. Well done, Sourcebooks Casablanca! I really was not kidding when I said I'm so excited about this new series.
*taken from ARC
First:
"But Uncle Flynn, you promised."

Favorite:
If Mike didn't want the others to know he'd once modeled for a romance cover, who was he to say?

Teaser:
"Will you, my sweet, wear these ear bobs as a token of my extreme affection?"
*Thank you Netgalley and Sourcebooks for the e-ARC! 

No comments:

Post a Comment