Home About Policies Reviews Features

Friday, September 30, 2011

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Title: Halo
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Pages: 496
Published: August 31, 2010
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Goodreads Summary:
"Three angels – Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human – are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments.Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong.The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?"
Review:
           I have been putting off this book for SO long, because there were other books that I wanted to read more than this one. I REGRET IT, because this book was too amazing to be put off for this long.
I have to admit, it was definitely cheesy, but in a good way. Alexandra Adornetto is such a skilled and talented YA writer, this book was just my piece of cake. The romance in this book was just amazing, I don't think it could have been done any better.
           The characters were all very caring and lovable, it all just was put together very well. Bethany and Xavier.. I don't even know where to start. They are just two lovebirds who can't be separated, and I could really feel their emotion they were feeling for each other, it was so genuine and understandable. Gabriel and Ivy, Bethany's siblings, were super overprotective, but I strangely liked that about them.
I feel like in every relationship, there HAS to be some part where one gets angry at the other, and the one who isn't angry becomes extremely depressed, since their partner is angry at them, and won't talk. Well, you guessed it, it certainly happened between Xavier and Bethany. But I didn't get annoyed because it was just written so painfully surreal that I actually felt really terrible for Bethany. Alexandra Adornetto is just so talented at letting the reader feel what the character feels.
             The plot was well-paced, but I definitely think that Jake Thorn, the "bad guy" in the book, came in 100 pages too late. The first 3/5 of the book was about Bethany and Xavier, while 1/5 of the book was about prom, and the last 1/5 of the book was about Jake, I feel like. He came and left too quickly, which I guess is a good thing (since he IS the bad guy), but a little more suspense would have been nice.
Overall, Halo was, yes, another paranormal story involving angels, but I have really gotten into, and fallen in love with angel stories. So I personally loved Halo! I am so excited to read Hades, the second book in the series! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment