Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pearl by Jo Knowles

Title: Pearl
Author:
Jo Knowles

Pages:
224

Published:
July 19, 2011

Publisher:
Henry Holt & Co.

Goodreads Summary:
Bean (née Pearl) and Henry, misfits and best friends, have the strangest mothers in town. Henry's mom Sally never leaves the house. Bean's mom Lexie, if she is home, is likely nursing a hangover or venting to her friend Claire about Bean's beloved grandfather Gus, the third member of their sunny household.

Gus's death unleashes a host of family secrets that brings them all together. And they threaten to change everything--including Bean's relationship with Henry, her first friend, and who also might turn out to be her first love.

Review:
When I first saw the cover, I honestly thought it was a high fantasy or something. But I was way off! It's actually a contemporary. For me, this type of contemporary wasn't for me. This also isn't your typical contemporary YA novel.

It was very simple, and an easy read. I think that middle grade readers could read this book too, but it was honestly boring. I didn't see a point in the book, I mean most contemporary books don't have points in them, but Pearl just seems especially pointless. It was basically about Bean finding herself. Which could have been done better.

Bean was a very naive character, she seemed very juvenile. It always seemed like she needed Henry's help all the time. And the adults in the book were just terrible parents. I mean I know that they are single parents and all, but Jo Knowles just made them sound as if they didn't care at all.

Overall, the plot for this book was just very mundane and boring. The writing was simple and easy to understand. The content of the book is as plain as the cover. I've definitely read better contemporary fiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment