Home About Policies Reviews Features

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

Title: Ripple
Author: Mandy Hubbard
Pages: 272
Published: July 21, 2011
Publisher: Razorbill/Penguin
Goodreads Summary:
"Lexi is cursed with a dark secret. Each day she goes to school like a normal teenager, and each night she must swim, or the pain will be unbearable. She is a siren - a deadly mermaid destined to lure men to their watery deaths. After a terrible tragedy, Lexi shut herself off from the world, vowing to protect the ones she loves. But she soon finds herself caught between a new boy at school who may have the power to melt her icy exterior, and a handsome water spirit who says he can break Lexi's curse if she gives up everything else. Lexi is faced with the hardest decision she's ever had to make: the life she's always longed for - or the love she can't live without?"


Review:
Okay, before I read this book, I read a different synopsis than the one provided above. It made no mention of Lexi being a siren, so I completely thought it was about mermaids. First off, let me tell you, mermaids and sirens are very different things. Yes, they have similarities: they are both drawn to the water. But sirens are deadly.
I love mermaids, but I think I love sirens even more after reading Ripple. Mandy Hubbard thankfully did an incredible job writing about one! This is my first siren book, and with this amazing plot line, I will surely be looking for more siren books now.
On with this book! Lexi was a perfect character for me. She had her imperfections, and perfections. As a siren, she must stay in a secluded area filled with water, or else she'll sing and lure men into the water and drown them. I honestly loved Cole--he was the one special guy who didn't believe that Lexi killed her past boyfriend. And then there's Erik, the hot new transfer student. Just like Lexi, I swooned for Erik, and fell under his spell. But, you guessed it, he's evil. Which sooo made the book so much more intense!
I admit that the beginning of the book was a little slow, but the ending TOTALLY made up for it. And it was only slow because Mandy introduces the readers to Lexi and her past. Which you need for a superlative story.
Predominately, Ripple was fantastic. The conclusion entirely took my breath away. Mandy Hubbards writing is light, fun, and superb, so I will most definitely be looking forward to more!



No comments:

Post a Comment