Home About Policies Reviews Features

Friday, September 16, 2011

Timeless by Alexandra Monir


Title: Timeless
Author: Alexandra Monir
Pages: 304
Published: January 11, 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Goodreads Summary:
"When tragedy strikes Michele Windsor’s world, she is forced to uproot her life and move across the country to New York City, to live with the wealthy, aristocratic grandparents she’s never met. In their old Fifth Avenue mansion filled with a century’s worth of family secrets, Michele discovers a diary that hurtles her back in time to the year 1910. There, in the midst of the glamorous Gilded Age, Michele meets the young man with striking blue eyes who has haunted her dreams all her life – a man she always wished was real, but never imagined could actually exist. And she finds herself falling for him, into an otherworldly, time-crossed romance.

Michele is soon leading a double life, struggling to balance her contemporary high school world with her escapes into the past. But when she stumbles upon a terrible discovery, she is propelled on a race through history to save the boy she loves – a quest that will determine the fate of both of their lives."


Review:
            First off, I just have to say that when I first picked up this book, I loved the concept immediately. TIME TRAVELING? Duh, who WOULDN'T want to read it? I didn't regret reading this book, but it definitely wasn't worth being on my must-read-to-be-read-pile.
            To begin with, I lovedlovedloved Monir's writing style. Everything about this book was dreamy and light, and airy. Looking at the cover just looks like a dream (by the way, the cover is freaking GAAAWJUS). Since Michele gets sucked back in time, Monir does a great job of each time period's description. Which leads me to my next point. Timeless involves a lot of historical stuff, since Michele IS time traveling... It got kind of boring at some points, such as the Windsor's family history. Which leads to my next point. Monir veers off the topic. In the beginning, Michele is focusing on her family's history, since she is forced to live with her grandparents after her mother's death. The Windsor mansion was passed down from generation to generation, and Michele learns that there was a journal, and a key (that turns out to have belonged to her father, Henry Irving).
               But when Michele gets sucked into the year of 1910, Monir changes the topic. And suddenly, it is all about Philip Walker and his love for Michele. I thought the subject change was bit random and sudden, which I didn't like. But the story behind Philip and Michele romance is beautiful and creative. He composes music, while she writes song lyrics.
               Just throughout the whole book, Michele is taken back and time and learns all about her family history, and gets to spend time with Philip. The synopsis of the book was very vague, it wasn't entirely about her "soulmate". However, I LOVED THE ENDING. It was amazing. When Michele goes back to school the next day after all of the secrets were revealed, there is a new student in her class. And who might it be, but PHILIP WALKER. Ahhhhh I practically DIED. And he is wearing the ring that Philip had given her when she was back in time. "The very ring she had lost". So I was, yes, very satisfied with the ending.
I am so excited to read the next one! Okay, so maybe it was worth reading. I change my mind after really thinking my thoughts out!


No comments:

Post a Comment