Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Born At Midnight by C.C. Hunter

Title: Born at Midnight
Author: C.C. Hunter
Pages: 416
Published: March 29, 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin
Goodreads Summary:
"Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams,  Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever.  Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.”  Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either.  Or does she?  They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason.  As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas.  Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past.  Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart. Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…"
Review:
           Reading the synopsis, it sounds a heck a ton like Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. I loved Hex Hall, so I decided to give Born at Midnight a try, and plus, the cover just makes it all the more intriguing. My thoughts with this book: I can't say I loved it, but I can't say I hated it.
            First, let's talk about C.C. Hunter's writing style. I didn't like it. Not very much. If it weren't for the plot, I probably wouldn't have liked this book at all. Her writing is very... unprofessional. Throughout the whole entire book, she kept on switching perspectives, but it just seems like she typed down whatever was going on through her mind. It sounded a little unlike Kylie's character. Her writing just is very simple and not in depth. That was basically the only thing I didn't quite enjoy in this book.
            The things I did enjoy: Kylie! She is a very naive character, but not so naive that she became annoying. She analyzes things well, and she was just a fun character. Derek and Lucas; I can't decide who I like more. Both of them are a little off: Derek is manipulative, and Lucas is a player. I have to say.. I might be more on team Lucas though... Kylie's friends: Miranda, Della, and Holiday (the camp leader, actually) were all hilarious, and I'd love to meet them if I could! They are all genuine characters.
             The beginning of the story was very much alike Hex Hall. However, as the story progresses, it changed dramatically for me. Hex Hall was a much funner read, but don't get me wrong, as was Born at Midnight. I just think that Born at Midnight had too much problems going on at once. There is even one point in the book where C.C. Hunter sort of lists out all of the conflicts in the book. It confused me on why she included that. It just made her writing look even more baffling.
              All in all, if you're looking for an easy, fun, chilling read, Born at Midnight is the way to go. If it weren't for C.C. Hunter's writing, I think I would have loved it a lot better.

The Shadow Falls Series

 Give the rest of a series a shot if you loved Born At Midnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment