Home About Policies Reviews Features

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Review: Moonglass by Jessi Kirby

Title: Moonglass 
Author: Jessi Kirby
Published: May 3rd 2011 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Moonglass
Goodreads summary:
From Jessi Kirby, a debut novel about confronting the past in order to move ahead.

I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.

Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.

While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.

Racquel's thoughts:
At first I thought this book was about mermaid, I don't know how I got that idea in my head because this is realistic contemporary at it's best!

Jessi Kirby portrayed the characters realistically from Anna the MC, to rich girl Ashely who comes off as stereotypical but thank goodness, Kirby saved her and actually gave her layers! Also, this is a complete beach read and who doesn't love those? Man, the way Kirby describes the beach or when Anna even mentions it makes me want to pull out my bikini and go to the nearest beach.

The romance was done well, it wasn't insta-love-let's-get-married-and-have-babies but like a normal females teenagers, Anna saw a sexy guy with no shirt on posed as a lifeguard and like a female Homo sapien she felt an attraction and wanted to get to know him better. Nothing more then that, there was no love at first sight besides the realistic, normal partner chasing (being done on Anna's part which I loved!!) and after that, Tyler and Anna's feelings grew. Let's all take a moment to praise Kirby for this!

To be honest though, first and foremost, I am a romance fan but with Moonglass, I was more interested to see what's going to happen with Anna and her father than Anna and Tyler.  I cared for Tyler and his relationship with Anna (it definitely was realistic, sweet and I loved it) but I was aching to get to the parts with Anna and her dad to see what will happen between, it was amazing how Kirby blossomed their awkward relationship throughout the book and when Anna and her dad were having their 'confrontation' at the end, I TEARED UP. Yes, I was in the middle of my Aquatic Science class on the verge of tears. Thanks Kirby! And lastly, I loved the mystery behind Anna's mother, what happened to her and the cottages and the tie in with the crawling man and who he is is just AWESOME.

If you haven't read Moonglass, I suggest you wait until summer time to read it because it's a perfect beach read that made me a fan of Jessie Kirby, she has great writing style, she knows what's she's writing about when she's creating her YA world and I can't wait for her sophomore novel, In Honor!

My rating: 4 hearts, a must read!

First line:  
I read once that water is a symbol for emotions.
Favorite:  
When I turned thirteen, he pulled me aside and we had his version of "the talk," which mostly consisted of a bunch of "uhs" and "ums," but I got the gist of his speech: boys only wanted one thing, and I shouldn't give it to them until I was at least thirty-three. And married.
Teaser:  
What in the world? People here were turning out to be all kinds of crazy.


No comments:

Post a Comment