Home About Policies Reviews Features

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Review: Love Story by Jennifer Echols

Title: Love Story
Author: Jennifer Echols
Published: July 19th 2011 by MTV Books
Rating: ♥♥
Goodreads summary:
She's writing about him. he's writing about her. And everybody is reading between the lines..

For Erin Blackwell, majoring in creative writing at the New York City college of her dreams is more than a chance to fulfill her ambitions--it's her ticket away from the tragic memories that shadow her family's racehorse farm in Kentucky. But when she refuses to major in business and take over the farm herself someday, her grandmother gives Erin's college tuition and promised inheritance to their maddeningly handsome stable boy, Hunter Allen. Now Erin has to win an internship and work late nights at a coffee shop to make her own dreams a reality. She should despise Hunter . . . so why does he sneak into her thoughts as the hero of her latest writing assignment?

Then, on the day she's sharing that assignment with her class, Hunter walks in. He's joining her class. And after he reads about himself in her story, her private fantasies about him must be painfully clear. She only hopes to persuade him not to reveal her secret to everyone else. But Hunter devises his own creative revenge, writing sexy stories that drive the whole class wild with curiosity and fill Erin's heart with longing. Now she's not just imagining what might have been. She's writing a whole new ending for her romance with Hunter . . . except this story could come true.
Racquel's thoughts:
 Going Too Far is one of my favorite books so I was kind of excited for Love Story. The reason I wasn't overly excited is because I saw a lot of people didn't love it. Sure everyone liked it but it wasn't there with the love crowd but let me tell you, to me Love Story was is a one heck of a lovely story!

I loved the premise of the story. I think it's very original and I have never read anything remotely similar to the whole 'she's writing about him and he's writing about her' scenario and who doesn't love originality? especially a well done plot like the one in Love Story. Second, I love how that the story was set in college and the characters are older *ehmm* I mean mature. There is only so much of the immaturity of the younger teens I can take before wanting to blow my brains out and that is the exact same reason why I like reading adult contemporaries (even though I'm a teen myself). Because I simply get tired of YA and it's silly drama (yes, even if it's saving the world!) and insta-love romance but if every contemporary was written with the voice of maturity in Love Story, I would not mind!

One thing I really appreciate is how nothing is revealed from page one. Some books start off with "Hi, my name is Cheetah and I'm going to tell you the story of why Leopard and I hate Puma because she killed Lion." ummm hello element of suspense! That's what the summary is for! I like things to gradually unfold on their on pace. We slowly figured out the past behind Hunter and Erin through their stories and we knew more when Erin explained to her friends. All the telling and showing happened on it's own pace. Thank you Echols!

Also since this is called Love Story,  I should mention the love story. Cheers to no insta-love! Echols didn't just let the details play out on their own but also the love story. I saw the relationship grow (and fall!) between Hunter and Erin, my heart went out for them and skipped a beat at their intimacy. It was magical.

Jennifer Echols has talent, I love how in Going Too Far the voice of Meg was badass just like Meg herself and in Love Story, the voice of Erin was romantic, reflecting Erin's personality. Echols knows what she's writing about with the teenage world and while the book started just good for me, it turned to be amazing. Another masterpiece from Jennifer Echols. Round of applause please.

My rating: A definite 5 heart read, if you're a fan of contemporary you will be a fan of this book!

First line:
Captain Vanderslice was something of an ass.
Favorite:
"Because you were chasing a rat, telling me how cute it was."
Teaser:
"Are you asking whether I have gravel embedded in my ass? By the grace of God, no."



No comments:

Post a Comment