Home About Policies Reviews Features

Friday, November 25, 2011

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Title: Catching Jordan
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Published: December 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Fire
Rating: ♥♥♥
Goodreads summary:
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.
Racquel's thoughts:
These two pictures are taken from my sociology book:




 Lets start with the pictures above. Now that we know the definition of stereotype and the evils of it, we know why I knock out two stars from the rating of the book (and any book with stereotypes!) immediately. Catching Jordan started with the worst kind and my worst enemy of stereotypes: cheerleaders who are dumb, slutty, complete bimbos and whores. I do not need to explain all the horrors of that stereotype do I? Because getting into how awful it is to categorize people in a single simple-minded spiteful view of a group of people will only piss me off. Though I will give Jordan the credit that she redeemed herself and her harsh view of the cheerleaders by befriending two of them and learning that god almighty, they might not be all that bad!!

My other problem will be Jordan herself. She was a hypocrite, the exact same nasty names she called those cheerleaders. Even though she had a boyfriend, she went and tried to kiss another boy. Also, even after her boyfriend told her they should break it off if she isn’t serious about him she still played and basically used him while she pinned for another guy. So yes, the love triangle is ridiculous and while I’m a complete romance maniac, I hated the romantic aspect of this book.

But there were good things that made me not hate the book completely like Jordan’s family. I love it when family is included in YA books and this is not an expectation, I loved every part that featured Jordan’s family and how we saw the relationship between Jordan and her father grow. Also, who doesn’t love a book that makes you laugh? And even though I have my complaints, Catching Jordan definitely had its good LOL’s.

Overall: my problems with the book run mostly personal, I can't stand books that stereotypes so without a doubt, I'm sure everyone will enjoy Catching Jordan better then I did.
 
Rating: 3 stars~ disappointed, expected better and I saw the potential for better




First Line: 
I once read that football was invented so people wouldn't notice summer ending.
Favorite: 
 "I was in labor with him for fourteen hours!" Henry exclaims as he rocks the baby back and forth.
Teaser:  
"I have to breastfeed, 'cause I'm the mom," Henry says, continuing to push the stroller toward the locker room.
*Thanks to the publisher at Netgalley for providing me with a copy to review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment