Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, November 14, 2011

Review: Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

Published: June 7th 2011 by HarperTeen
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
Goodreads summary:
 2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.
If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.
In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.

Ten Things Racquel loved About This Book:
1) A police siren
2) The Hula
3) Donut
4) Two fantastic brothers
5) A certain fake/adopted/maybe drug dealing/ loveliest cheekbone brother
6) The flashbacks
7) Everything made me laugh
8) Every ties up, perfect resolutions
9) Realistic characters
10) The writing

I have been dying to read this book for so long and thank goodness once I picked it up, I was not disappointed. To get this out of the way, a book can be so terrible, juts PLAIN AWFUL, the worst book ever and it deserves to burned but I can still love it. If a book can make me laugh so much even though it sucks I will love it and while Ten Things We Did was not awful or terrible it did make me laugh so hard so even IF it sucked, I would have loved it.

It was fun reading from April's POV (even though I had my issues with her at the end) she was funny and did genuinely have the best at heart. [this might be spoilerish] It sucked what Noah did to her but in the end, I don't hate him like everyone. He just a teen who reacted from something that scared him, he's not perfect and neither is April. 

Besides that, I finished this book in one day, it's a great pick-me-up since I laughed through every page and while some of the situations in the book are ridiculously exaggerated (the great Hula buy for instance) the characters are definitely realistic from the way they reacted to things to the way they acted, talked and interacted. Yes, I'm a teenager. Yes teenagers think about sex and want to do it (or well the teenagers that surround me) and yes teenagers drink, get drunk and throw parties. Why yes, I partied it up just yesterday. It's a fact. You might not think so, but down here the things that went on in this book are as close to the truth as true can get.

Less then ten things that I didn't like:
1) Not enough fake/adopted/maybe drug dealing/ loveliest cheekbone brother!
2) April got a little annoying at the end, but who can blame her?

Rating: 4 hearts~ hilarious & a quick read!


First Line: 
I bolted awake.
Favorite: 
Parental crisis averted. Must now focus on the crisis in my pants.
Teaser: 
The cactus was moving. It had a white bra on it. Was that mine? I felt my chest. Nope. I was wearing mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment