Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, November 28, 2011

Turning Point (1)

Hey everyone! You're probably thinking: What's Turning Point? WELL. Grace from Wordslikesilver is starting this as a feature, and I thought it was a pretty darn awesome idea! So I'd like to give it a try :) It's basically where you share your thoughts on the book you're currently reading up to the halfway point! Sort of like a mini-review on what you've read so far! Here is the link to Grace's "Turning Point" post! Right now I'm just reading Silence (Hush, Hush #3) by Becca Fitzpatrick.

"The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for—and their love—forever."

I bought this book immediately after I finished Crescendo (see my review here) and knew that I had to continue reading on, because it was SO mean of Becca to leave us readers at a cliffhanger! I've heard many mixed reviews on this book, and I can see where the negative ones are coming from. For me, I'm kind of on both sides of the positive and negative. Let me explain.

The book starts with Nora having no memory of what happened in the past 5 months. Yes, terrible, I know. I was a little confused with where the amnesia was going, but I continued reading on, intrigued by Becca's fantastic writing. Later I found out that because Nora has no memory of the summer, she doesn't remember Patch. At all.

I nearly cried when Nora had no recollection of who the love of her life was. Or if she even had a love of her life. Hank Millar, my growing sense of contempt for this man grew rapidly. I hate Hank Millar. What a cruel "father". Nora's innocence of having no information of what's going on was sad and unfair. How everyone was hiding everything from her, like they had an advantage of it over her. How everyone can just lie to her because she doesn't know if they're telling the truth or not. It was excruciatingly painful to read through.

What I've read so far has also been frustrating, which I think was probably the biggest part on why many readers didn't enjoy Silence. It IS frustrating though! C'mon, Patch and Nora being apart? Crescendo already did it's part on that. Did Fitzpatrick really have to make us suffer in book three? Yes, yes she does. It pained me deeply how Nora couldn't figure out who Patch was, and why he was haunting her long-lost memories.

So far it sounds like I'm not enjoying this book very much. But I can say, despite Nora's amnesia, I actually like the idea of how she has no memory of Patch. It's as if... their relationship is being born again. Which, in my opinion, was what everyone loved in Hush, Hush: watching Patch & Nora's relationship grow. It's shown up again in Silence! Readers can witness Patch and Nora fall in love once again.

Scott Parnell from Crescendo is brought back into the story! His character is so fun to read about, and I believe that he is truly a good person, not what Patch keeps saying he is.

Speaking of Patch, he doesn't go by this name in this book. He goes by his actual name; Jev. I'm not diggin' it. I still like Patch better, it suits him more (hence why I'm still using Patch in this post).

So as of right now, I'm addicted to this book. Even with it's differences with the previous 2 books. Something about Becca Fitzpatrick's writing that I can't put my finger on. It draws me in every time. I am in love with it so far. Eagerly anticipating the rest of the book!


No comments:

Post a Comment