Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Faves of 2011: The Books

1. Favorite book read in 2011
Racquel's pick: 
Adult: Blue Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas
 Since I also read adult romance/contemporary- it's my absolute guilty pleasure, I cannot fail to mention the greatness that is Blue Eyed Devil. It is the book I go to when I'm in the funk, I have read maybe 5 times already. It's the perfect book, period.
Graffiti Moon, I read it in one day. I teared up a little bit, I laughed a lot and I cuddled my phone to sleep that night (it was an e-galley) Pure awesomeness.
 Emma's pick:
Matched by Ally Condie
I think out of all the books I've ever read this year, these two have stuck with me the longest. Some, I forget after weeks, even days, but Unearthly and Matched refused to leave my mind. These books are so moving and so heartwarming, I wish they'd never end. 
2. Most powerful book
Racquel's pick: 
There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones
For the first 3 chapters of this book, I wasn't a big fan but after that I was IN LOVE. I teared up three full times, I LOL'ed a million times and it was a moving book. As in I sat down and seriously thought about my life and what it meant and from the day I finished the book (which is the same day I started it FYI) to today, there were definite changes about my day. Changes for the better, if I met Jenny B. Jones, I would thank her for this amazing book.


Emma's pick:
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
I love books about angels. And simply, Unearthly is magical. The whole talk about having a purpose and saving the world really stuck with me. Part angels or not, I think we all have a purpose here.
 3. Brilliantly funny
Racquel's pick:
TenThings We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski
From page one, I was LOL'in. Full out LAUGH OUT LOUD. Every character was funny, every line was funny, every scene and scenario was funny.
Emma's pick:
Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by

 4. Best ache-y, heart-breaking, tear-jerker read 
Racquel's pick: 
There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones
Do I need to repeat everything I said at the top? This made me tear up (sorry, my blak soul is unable to full out cry) and want to change some things about my life. Really.

5. Most beautiful story
Emma's pick: 
Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception
If anybody has read Maggie Stiefvater's novels, you'll know her writing is beautiful. I don't normally read about faeries, but here, it's captured so stunningly. Even the 'bad' ones. And the element of music really drew me in. Music to me, is beautiful.
6. Delicious rainy day comfort read 
Racquel's pick:
SixteenthSummer by Michelle Dalton
This was set in a beach town so already it was a comfort read. The MC worked in a ice-cream parlor, there is you delicious part. The romance was sweet, perfect to read when curling up on a rainy day.
Emma's pick:
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Another book of Maggie's! I think Sam and Grace's relationship is to die for! I'd cuddle this to sleep, dreaming that my own Sam will finally appear from the woods. It makes me so happy and warm inside when I read about their love. 
7. Adrenalin-fuelled, unputdownable award
Emma's pick:
The Maze Runner by James Dashner  
I Am Number Four by Pitacus Lore
Adrenalin-fuelled? Definitely.  I could not put these down. The Maze Runner: I think the mystery of it all kept me reading. I was urging the Gladers to get out of the maze and I knew I wouldn't stop til they did. I Am Number Four: I read the book before I saw the movie, so I knew it'd be action-packed and full on intense. I never wanted to stop reading it.
8. The beautiful prose award
Racquel's pick: 
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Laini Taylor writes beautiful words, sweet beautiful words I just wanted to eat.
Emma's pick:
Matched by Ally Condie
I could not forget these words. I know many didn't like Tahereh Mafi's style of writing, but to me, it was beyond perfect for the story. The words evoked all sorts of feelings I thought never possible through simple pages. And as for Matched. I think the poems did it for me. It gave me a new appreciation for poetry, and I know, the line 'Do not go gentle into that good night' will never be forgotten. 
9. Most atmospheric and vivid setting
Racquel's pick: 
Moonglass  by Jessi Kirby
Something about books set around beaches that just make me hear the waves crash and the toes between my sand.... liked that? I have a way with words;D (I don't do cheesy -.-)
Emma's pick:
 Birthmarked by
10. I-so-want-to-go-there award
Racquel's pick: 
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone lives Prague and she travels around the world (Morocco being one of the beautiful places she's been to) so hell to the yes, I want to LIVE there.
Rose in Blood Promise spends 97% of the book around Russia. What idiot wouldn't want to go there?
Emma's pick:
 Across the Universe by Beth Revis
On a spaceship stuck with a few other thousand people with nowhere else to go but space? Don't laugh, but I've always wanted to go out into the infinite universe. Not like the astronaut way, but the Stargate Universe way... if anybody's ever watched that... 
  11. Most original and imaginative
Racquel's pick:
Can't think of nothing, everything is based of something else. No idea is new.
Emma's pick:
 Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Maybe it's not original, but I reckon it's pretty creative. The whole clockwork/machinery/robots thing fascinated me. Don't know about you guys, but I sure as hell haven't read anything about that before.
  12. Best under-appreciated, hidden gem book
Racquel's pick: 
Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt
The happiest day of my life was when Liz Reinhardt asked me to review her book because it is fan-fucking-tastic. Everyone should read this book, it's honest, it's realistic and it's one hell of a book.
Emma's pick:
 The Pledge by Kimberly Derting
I don't even know if this would be considered a 'hidden' gem, but I haven't seen it much on book blogs. This is a really great book, and although the concept is not the most original, but the idea of pledges really intrigued me. 
 13. I-had-no-idea-I-would-love this-so award
Racquel's pick: 
DoubleClutch by Liz Reinhardt
Again, who expects near perfection from a self published book? well I definitely got more then near perfection with this one!
 Emma's pick:
 Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols
I'm more of a fantasy/sci fi/paranormal reader, so I don't usually find myself enjoying contemporary romances. Sarah Dessen is as far as I've gotten. But this was... wow. It was exciting! Which I often don't find contemporary novels. And at the end, I found myself yearning for more Meg and John!
 14. Most haunting story
Racquel pick: 
what can I say? I stick to cute, fun books. Nothing haunting.
Emma's pick:
 Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Wither by Lauren DeStefano 
 Unwind: Just look at the cover. I mean, honestly, I don't know what brought me to read this, but I did like the book nevertheless. The whole concept of teenagers getting 'unwound' - ugh, shuddering... Wither: It wasn't so much the story that haunting, but it had a completely eerie feeling to it. It felt so calculating and disturbing, and wrong, but even so, I couldn't stop reading.
15. Outside my comfort zone but gosh how i loved it
Racquel's pick: 
TheNarrative Life of Frederick Douglass by himself
I might have a black soul, but it's a soul in the end and who ever is not moved by this book, clearly they have no soul.
16. Series that i’m loving

Racquel's pick: 
VampireAcademy by Richelle Mead
I don't do series-s since I hate waiting for the sequels to come out but Vampire Academy is a series everybody should invest in reading.

Emma's pick:
Bloodlines: Well, it's by Richelle Mead. Need I say more? TMI: I love witty and sarcastic characters, and Jace Wayland is just awesome. I can't get enough of him! Clockwork Angel: Reading the second one currently. I'm not usually a big fan of novels set in the past, but strangely, I love this! 
17.  Always recommending this book award
Racquel's pick: 
Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez
I already mentioned Graffiti Moon, Double Clutch and There You'll Find Me (all books I would recommend every second of the day) so I will leave this spot for Virtuosity who is worth the mention. The book radiates emotion, another favorite of the year.
Emma's pick:
 Matched by Ally Condie
Gone by Micheal Grant
My friends will tell you. Gone is the book most people chose to read and liked, but I will forever find myself saying: 'Matched is awesome! You'll love it!' I mean, really, you will.
18. Completely awesome premise award
Racquel's pick: 
Love Story by Jennifer Echols
Well, I might have said nothing is original earlier on but I never read or hear anything about "She's writing about him. he's writing about her. And everybody is reading between the lines.." Round of applause for Jennifer Echols please.
 19. Would make the best movie

Racquel's pick: 
Saving June by Hannah Harrington
It would be a movie that would make you laugh, make you tear up a little bit, make your heart swell because of the romance. Perfect for a Saturday night, perfect for any day.

Emma's pick:
 City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
ASDFGHJKL IT'S COMING OUT NEXT YEAR!!! I'm actually pretty disappointed that Alex Pettyfer didn't accept the role as Jace (because really, he'd be the best) but I. Am. Psyched. Shadowhunters and demon slaying. I do want to see this on the big screen.
20. Want to re-read already
Racquel's pick: 
I always love a book that makes me laugh and this one made me laugh more then once.
Emma's pick:
Shatter Me by Tehereh Mafi
Okay, I read this like two days ago, and I really want to read it again, but I shall restrain myself, simply because I need to finish Clockwork Prince, and I refuse to overdose on Adam Kent too soon (little bites!)

Thanks for checking the post out (because Emma & I worked on this fucker for days & I about had it with formatting and blogging :D)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment