Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Published: January 11th 2011 by Razorbill
Rating: ♥♥♥
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
Goodreads summary:
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Racquel's thoughts:
Across the Universe started solid for me. Beth Revis doesn't hold back on the not so pleasant details of cryo freezing which I LOVE. It was realistic, not sugar-coated and with a book like Across the Universe, modesty will get it no where so I was happy through out the book to see that it didn't hold back on the uglier details (like the season).

Across the Universe rocked until Amy woke up. She is the reason the book got 3 hearts instead of 5. She was the single most annoying main character I had the pleasure to read from. Her actions were idiotic and didn't make sense. The way she stood up against Eldest, was that supposed to be ballsy? It was pure foolishness. ***spoiler* If someone threatened to throw me out in space, I wouldn't back talk him, specially if I am a stranger in a ship! But that doesn't mean I'm weak, it means I'm cautious!*** I didn't find it her heroic and I wished she DID get thrown out the ship. The whole thing about protecting her parents was just stupid, what was she going to do when she caught the 'killer'? pull out her gun in defense? She didn't think any thing through and I enjoyed the parts when she was drugged, crying, and in despair. Yes, how cold-hearted! but I really hated Amy, every single action she took made me want to pull my hair out. She complained and disagreed withe everything about the ship and how they lived and while yes I agree with Amy it was wrong, I wanted to scream YOU ARE 250 YEARS IN THE FUTURE YOU IDIOT, OF COURSE TIMES CHANGE AND THEY LIVE DIFFERENTLY! WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?! She signed up for being on the ship, she wasn't forced and she got what she deserved.

At least I liked Elder, he did grow through out the book and his actions were justified and weren't completely moronic. Though I do believe the romance between him and Amy is LUST. All his life he saw the exact same faces then this fiery red head pops up in his life, he's either going to think she's an exotic freak or an exotic beauty, that doesn't equal romance and love. I wish there was more between the two characters and I'm hoping for more in book 2.

All that aside, I liked the world in Across the Universe it was very interesting, from the Eldest system to the season it was all very fascinating. Also, I understood Eldest and the previous Eldest's actions. They did what they thought could get them through the journey and while it wasn't a perfect solution, it was justifiable (unlike a certain main characters idiot thoughts + actions -__-) they just had the best in mind. Even the 'killer's' actions made sense. His/her reason for doing what he/she did were true! ***Spoiler*that the ships passenger were either going to be slaves or soldiers*** I loved the 'villain's' in this book more then the main characters but in the end, I will be looking forward to book 2, A Million Suns.

Rating: 3 hearts~ had my problems with it, but it's not bad
First Line:
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."
Favorite:
 I will never, never be the same. I have seen stars. Real stars.
Teaser:
"Ha! You're the one with the weird accent!"

No comments:

Post a Comment