Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, December 5, 2011

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Published: May 3rd 2011 by HarperCollins Children's Books
Series: Divergent #1
Rating: 4 hearts
Divergent (Divergent, #1)
Goodreads summary:
Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place her in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.

 Racquel's thoughts:
Before I started Divergent, I knew it was not going to be a 5 star book. Why? Because EVERYONE around me gave it 5 stars, I only saw like three 4 stars and everyone just raved, raved, raved and gushed, gushed, gushed about it. So because of all this, involuntarily, an idealistic non-existing extremely perfect view of the book was created. I mean come on, people praised it like Jesus wrote it himself! So no matter how good Divergent is (and it IS good) there was NO chance it could live up to the expectations, they were too perfect. No book could live up to them. Also keep in mind, not once did I read a review on Divergent. The hype got to me through twitter and people gushing on posts and such. So imagine if  I did, oh boy...

Anyways, I'm glad I at least liked this and finished it in one day. Usually I end up not liking over hyped books but that's not the case with Divergent. I got sucked in the world. Even though I was confused a lot of times, the factions and the little background we got on them were very interesting. Even though the books was written in present tense which I HATE because it confuses the heck out of me plus it's annoying, Roth's writing is very good. I cannot believe she's 23! All her characters were 3D and well done, I felt what Tris was feeling and rooted for her and hated who we were supposed to hate (Eric cough Peter cough). The book was intense in actions, nothing censored. There were gory parts, Roth doesn't hold back from killing people and even though the first wasn't special in nature- it was just training!- it was still unputdownable!!!! Roth has the magic dust that makes a book irresistible.

What made this not a 5 star read:
I was confused a lot of times. I didn't know why a certain character was suddenly at a certain place and how they got there. It made me read certain parts more then twice to understand what's going on. Really, I might have gotten the initial idea of the book but I can't recall any small detail. Though I do want to say that while I liked both Four and Tris, they're not my all time favorite people in the world. Tris got on my nerves at parts. One paragraph she was all like, 'I'm Dauntless...!' The next she was like 'I'm Abnegation!' The paragraph after, she was like, 'no! I'm Divergent." okay, Tris I don't care what faction you're in! Also, don't ask me what Divergent is because I didn't understand much about it and why Divergent people can do what they do... When I tell I was confused A LOT I do not joke.

Is the book worth the hype?
Yes, and no. Divergent IS good, it IS worth reading but I wish I could turn down the hype scale a little bit. It's not people's fault for liking a book and trying to spread the word and it's not Roth's fault for writing such a good book but still... I wish I had the chance to figure out the book awesomeness by myself and even then it has flaws.

Rating: 4 hearts~ will keep you up at night
 First line:
There is one mirror in my house.
Favorite:
Part of me wonders if this is a suicide mission disguised as a game.
Teaser:
"You're a little scary, Four."

No comments:

Post a Comment