Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

|Review| The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers by Lynn Weingarten

Title: The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers 
Author: Lynn Weingarten 
Published: December 27th 2011 by HarperTeen 
Rating: ♥♥♥
The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers
Goodreads summary:
When her boyfriend breaks up with her on the first day of sophomore year, Lucy has no idea how she’s going to make it through homeroom, let alone the rest of her life. Enter three stunning girls with a magical offer Lucy can’t refuse. All she has to do is get a guy to fall in love with her in the next seven days, and then…break his heart and collect one of his brokenhearted tears. As the girls teach Lucy how to hook a guy (with the help of a little magic), she quickly discovers how far she is willing to go—and who she is willing to cross—to get what she wants.

Fans of Lauren Myracle, Jodi Lynn Anderson, and Meg Cabot will love this tale of breakups, friendship, new crushes, and magic. Told with wit and charm, The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers is sure to be one of this winter’s most irresistible reads.
 Racquel's thoughts:
Olivia, Liza and Gil are Heartbreakers, something haBoo fuckppened to them in their life that caused them to be recruited as Heartbreakers, girls who break guys heart to make them better people and now they were trying to recruit Lucy. I don't think I've been this confused before! I like the book but on one hand I hate the characters and what they do, but on the other I actually like them.

I know one thing for sure, this book is told with charm and wit like the summary says. It's told in 3rd person with what feels like a whimsical tone from the narrator and while I usually prefer 1st person, Weingarten worked 3rd person. Also the Heartbreakers were inspiring, they gave Lucy some fantastic advice, they helped build her confidence and break her out of her naive shell. Lynn Weingarten could be a motivational speaker if you ask me, she knew what she was talking about with confidence, personality, love and life. The Heartbreakers didn't just help Lucy, they helped me also! There so many great quotes and advice I want to show you:
"Beauty is in the mind of the beholden."
"She who has the strongest reality wins."
"Be confident and believe in your own beauty. That's the big secret."
and many more quotes that I just loved. So why the 3 hearts and confusion? Well at some parts, I found the Heartbreakers (including Lucy) extremely weak and ugly hearted. I wanted them to get hit by a bus because of some things they did (poor Ethan & Colin!). Was it necessary, their way of life?  They went to such extremes to get over broken heart which means they ARE the weakest because they couldn't just lick their wounds and get over it. Lucy didn't love Alex, she loved the idea of having a boyfriend and someone to love and love her back. So what he broke up with you?! Boo fucking hoo. Guys and girls both are ENTITLED to break off relationships. I didn't hate Alex, like every other human in the world he can't help how he feels and just because he doesn't like Lucy anymore doesn't mean he's evil and a villain. I liked the sisterhood and their close friendship and I liked the twists of the book (I feel SO sad for a certain character D'; ugh I just HATE Lucy at the end!) and while I was put off by the Hearbreakers action, what would the book have been without their sisterhood? So yeah, I loved the things I hated. Quite the predicament right?! the magic was well, magical and despite everything, I do love Weingarten's writing and I will be reading her next book. Because hey, if a book leaves me thinking this hard and (are the Heartbreakers good or bad?!) and feeling so strongly about it after I'm done, it means the author done her job :D

Rating: 3 hearts~ despite some annoying factors in the book, Lynn Weingarten is inspiring and this IS a charming book and I DEFINITELY thing you should give the book a try.
 Goodies:
First:
In the beginning, there was Lucy Wrenn, standing all alone out in front oh her school on the first day of sophomore year, with a seductive little message written on her stomach in Sharpie marker.
Favorite: 
"I'm not your honey pie or your sugar face or your fish stick marzipan banana bread lasagna." LOL
Teaser:  
"If they're recruiting you into a lesbian sex cult you can tell me." He paused. "So long as they let join too." makes me laugh & breaks my heart.

Book Trailer:


Thanks to Lynn for sending me copy to review, truly appreciate it♥

No comments:

Post a Comment