Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

[Review] Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Prince
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Infernal Devices #2 (sequel to Clockwork Angel)
Published: December 6th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Rating: ★★★★★
 
Goodreads Summary:
 In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.
With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.
Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?
As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.
Emma's thoughts:
I hate Cassandra Clare. But I love her so much. My first thought after reading the last page was to scream. Why, why, why must I wait a year for the story to continue?! Now I know I should wait for the entire series to finish before starting any. Clockwork Angel started off the series so well, but surprisingly, I like Clockwork Prince better (which for me, is a first, because let's face it, no sequels live up to the first). Well, when I first found out this had come out, I was so convinced I had to reread Clockwork Angel to remember the story, but after a few pages, it was like slipping back into an old routine. Everything just came flooding back. Tessa, Will, Jem, and the Institute! And oh, I love how Magnus with his cat eyes is a part of this series as well! He's certainly quite the charmer of a warlock.

But, aside from the niceties; my heart has shattered into miniscule pieces! I want to cry, and oh, why must Cassandra Clare do this to us?! This book definitely deserves the most heartbreaking tear-jerker novel I've read this year, as well as my favourite (and hated) love triangle. Don't get me wrong, I love Will, and I love Jem and it absolutely sucks that they are parabatai. But it has always been Will for me. His story is so tragic, I want to hold him, let him know that he is loved and he deserves better. And I am honestly surprised by how many people are pro-Jem! I shouldn't be, but me, I'm always pining for the dark, mysterious, haunted hero.

The actual mystery of who Tessa really is intrigues me. Clare doesn't answer many questions, and only leaves more hanging. She cracks me up with Will's witty comments. And although I'm not the biggest fan of reading novels set in the past, I couldn't resist Clare's work. Daunting enchanted clockwork machinery and blue skinned demons? I found myself gasping and gaping toward the end, and I know I will be impatiently waiting for Clockwork Princess to be released next December. Which, my god, I can almost say is this year!
Rating: 5 stars~ It made me laugh, cry and grip my iPad in utter fear for Tessa!
 
First line:
The fog was thick, muffling sound and sight.
Favourite: 
She couldn't have been named something awful, could she, like Mildred. He couldn't imagine lying awake at night, staring up at the ceiling while invisible voices whispered "Mildred" in his ears. But Tessa-...
Teaser: 
"You said he was blue. This one's blue." 
"He is blue," Will acknowledged, stepping closer to the circle of flame. "But the demon I need - well, he was really a cobalt blue. This one's more... periwinkle."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment