Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Second Chance Saturday |3| A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare


The goal of Second Chance Saturday is to give a second chance to a book/author/series we've written off for some reason. Check out the previous two SCS we did here.
This Month's Featured Book: 
 by
Published August 30th 2011 by Avon
Spindle Cove #1
Goodreads summary:
Welcome to Spindle Cove, where the ladies with delicate constitutions come for the sea air, and men in their prime are... nowhere to be found. Or are they?

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the painfully shy, young wives disenchanted with matrimony, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men; it is a haven for those who live there.

Victor Bramwell, the new Earl of Rycliff, knows he doesn't belong here. So far as he can tell, there's nothing in this place but spinsters... and sheep. But he has no choice, he has orders to gather a militia. It's a simple mission, made complicated by the spirited, exquisite Susanna Finch—a woman who is determined to save her personal utopia from the invasion of Bram's makeshift army.

Susanna has no use for aggravating men; Bram has sworn off interfering women. The scene is set for an epic battle... but who can be named the winner when both have so much to lose?
What happened: I bought ready to love it but I quit at the 22% mark. The story and main characters were not clicking with me.

This book was a second chance because... Tessa Dare is historical romance favorite for both romance and non romance reader. I did not want to be the one person who's left out of the reading fun.

Second chance thoughts: sad to say, but this is one time that giving a book a second chance did not transform it to a favorite. I ended up enjoying somewhat but in end, all I can give it is a D+ rating. The reason I put it down the first time was because it was full of "let me unleash your pleasure" talk which ALWAYS makes me roll my eyes. Plus it was immediate which was something I'm sick of. Give me the slow burn!!!!!! I really just didn't enjoy the romance at all.  The hero, Bram, could think of nothing but being with the heroine *eye roll* and the heroine was just saint like. No one can get things done like her. Anyone in town needs help? They go to Susanna. No one can solves their own problems. Susanna had to solve those problems because Susanna is perfect. Yeah, that didn't work for me. Susanna pretty much wanted everyone in town to do what she said and operate under her rule. And the last straw was when someone is wounded and in a fatal situation, Susanna and Bram somehow turn the conversation about themselves when they were supposed to be discussing getting aide for the person who's hurt. That pretty much killed everything for me.
Lastly, both Bram and Susanna have been through tragedies and I felt this was a cheap ploy to add angst. I really did not care a single bit about how both of them overcame their respective tragedies because I could see the author pulling the puppet strings.

However I did laugh out loud a few times and  I was getting crazy looks from people because I couldn't stop smiling at parts. But those part usually involved Colin, Bram's cousin & the hero of the next book and the only scene I truly loved was between Colin and Minerva, who's Colin's heroine in the next book .

Worthy-of-sharing quote:
"We are men. Last I checked, anyhow."
"It's not just a matter of having the proper equipment. It's using the equipment properly."
Verdict: [D+ rating ] not much better than my first try but I did laugh plenty of times & I will give the Spindle Cove series another second chance (or is it third at his point?)

No comments:

Post a Comment