Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Author Interview with Lindsey Leavitt

Title: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
Published March 26th 2013 by Bloomsbury
Genre: Contemporary YA
Goodreads summary: 
When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List: 
1. Run for pep club secretary 
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree 
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming 
4. Find a steady 
5. Do something dangerous 
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.
We have an author interview with Lindsey Leavitt, author of Going Vintage, a cute contemporary YA about a sophomore girl who decides to cut out technology from her life. We've reviewed Going Vintage here on The Book Barbies & it's a book worth recommending! Without further ado, enjoy this interview with Lindsey Leavitt:
1. Have you ever gone on a technology hiatus? If so, from what, and how did it go?
I gave up technology for one week while researching this book. It was a quiet, dark period that I don’t care to remember. I also just moved into a new home, so was without internet or cable, all during my release week. My thumbs hurt from trying to keep up with business stuff on my I-phone. Although I got a lot packed and unpacked, I felt like I was missing out on something always!
2. I love how Mallory went through vintage clothing phases! I [Sharon] love vintage clothes. Do you have a particular era or decade that is a favorite, clothing wise?
Oh, early sixties by far! I like the lengths of the dresses and the fullness of the skirts. Although I also really like forties. Women were finally allowed to be smart and sexy, and that shows in the fit of the clothes.
3. How did you research all the details of the sixties that were mentioned in Going Vintage?
I read a lot of books from that period (listed in acknowledgements pages of the books), went through old LIFE and LOOK magazines, talked to people who were teens at that time, looked through pictures, watched videos and movies, listened to music… it was a fun book to research.
4. I [Sharon] loved Oliver! How did you come up with such a unique character? Didyou have inspiration in the form of an actual person for some of his quirks or characteristics?
Oh, to know someone like Oliver! My husband read the book, and swore Oliver was based on him, but that is not the case (sorry honey). The boys in my books usually come after I’ve developed my main character, and their traits come from what connects and repels.

Although the reindeer beanie he wears is based on this alpaca hat my husband used to wear in college that I loved.
5. Do you make lists like Mallory and Oliver? If so, what was one of the last things you listed?
I make lots of to do lists. Today’s (admittedly boring) list…
  • Mail package to Jayci
  • Talk to Caitlin
  • West Elm with Heather??
  • Groceries
  • Read with girls
  • Pay bills
  • Answer interview questions
OK, I’ll stop there. I’m feeling bad how little I got done. Glad I have this interview so I feel some sense of accomplishment.
6. Do you have any YA books you'd like to recommend? We're always for the look out!
I love Lisa Schroeder, Rachel Hawkins, Robin Benway, Sarah Ockler, Sara Zarr, Jessi Kirby… these are auto-buys for me.
7. Can you give us a hint of what to expect from you in the future? Any new books?
I’m working on a contemporary YA that is set in Las Vegas. It should be out next year, but I’m still figuring it out—don’t even have a title, let alone a pitch. I’m cryptic, aren’t I?
Thanks you Lindsey for stopping by! Check TBB review of Going Vintage & give the book a try!
 
About Lindsey:
Lindsey Leavitt is a former elementary school teacher and present-day writer/mom to three (mostly) adorable girls. She is married to her high-school lab partner and lives in Las Vegas, Nevada. She is the author of the PRINCESS FOR HIRE series, SEAN GRISWOLD’S HEAD, & GOING VINTAGE.

Find Lindsey: Website | Twitter | Blog | Facebook

Going Vintage Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment