Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

15 Day Book Blogging Challenge | Days 1 & 2

I got on the computer to write reviews. Then this happened. Oh well! So much fun! Click on the picture to participate.

Day One: Bookish Confessions

01. I will not predictably fall for the Bad Boy or the Good Guy. I can go either way. Although I love the complexity that comes with a well-developed Bad Boy (I'm looking at you, Warner) and sometimes fall for them, I absolutely adore the Nice Guys.

02. In the same vein, I frequently fall for guys in books I would not be able to stand in real life. Heathcliff, Erik (the Phantom), so many Alphas in romances, the list goes on.

03. For me, the characters are ALWAYS more important to the plot. If the plot is subpar but the characters are awesome or interesting, I'll keep reading. If it's the other way around, I probably won't.

04. ...Well, okay, I probably will. Because if I stick with a book past the first chapter/20 pages or so, I'm pretty much in it for the long haul, even if I don't want to be. I always like to think it will get better, so I push through. Sometimes it's worth it, and sometimes it's not. Regardless, that's what I do.

05. If there's absolutely no romance (or possibility of romance) in a book, I'm a lot less likely to enjoy it. At the same time, though, I hate forced romance. Let it build, people. Not everything has to happen in the first 100 pages, or even the first book.

06. I very rarely read self-published books, unless it's recommended to me by someone I trust. This is approximately 50% because of the likelihood that the writing will suck and 50% because of the terrible covers.

07. I will not judge you based on the book you're reading, but I'll judge you by how you treat it.

08. If there's a book/bookshelf/stack of books on a television show or movie, I will always try to see the titles. Always. And I get irrationally excited when I figure it out, and it's a book I like.

09. I get really into books. I will laugh, cry, smack my forehead with my palm. Sometimes I even talk to the book. I try not to do this unless I'm at home.

10. I habitually have at least 10 books out from the library. I usually only read half of them. If that.

11. I am a huge mood reader. HUGE. This is part of the reason for my high number of library books. I always need variety. I never know if I'm going to be in the mood for YA, historical, contemporary, paranormal, fantasy, classic, or what. So I try to keep a variety on hand. And I frequently go on genre binges, so I'll keep 8 historical romance books on hand because I'll devour them in two weeks.

12. I used to be a huge book snob. I went through a period of high school where I barely read anything besides classics or books from the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" and Rory Gilmore's Booklist. Then I discovered romance. Shortly thereafter, I discovered YA (beyond the few I had already read, like Sarah Dessen and Meg Cabot).

13. I miss classics. I actually, legitimately do. I need to read more of them, but I never seem to get around to it lately.

14. I didn't read Harry Potter until college, because I wasn't allowed to. I've since read the entire series twice, and I've been getting that itch again lately that means a reread is probably coming on.

15. When I read series, I frequently like really random and non-canon couples. I rooted for Rose and Christian in the Vampire Academy series for a long freaking time. I was only convinced otherwise by the last book in the series. I also adore Draco/Hermione.

Day Two: Bedtime Reading Ritual

The only specific bedtime reading ritual I have is reading my Bible. I read 3 chapters from the Old Testament (because I'm actually going to make it through before the end of the year! Finally!), one chapter from Proverbs that corresponds to the day (as Proverbs handily has 31 chapters), and then a chapter or so from somewhere in the New Testament. Frequently Philippians, because it's my favorite book.

If I'm still not ready for sleep, I'll sometimes pick up whatever book I'm reading at the moment, but that's the exception rather than the rule.
There you go! My bookish confessions and my bedtime reading ritual. Do you share any of these? Have any questions? Just want to discuss? Go ahead and comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment