Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (33)

Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This Week's Topic:
Top Ten Best & Worst Book-to-Movie Adaptations
The Best

01. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen || Water for Elephants
I basically love every single thing about both the book and the movie. The adaptation was cast wonderfully (even though I was way beyond hesitant until I actually saw it), and it followed the book very well. If I count both the book and the movie when considering, this is my favorite book-to-movie adaptation.

02. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks || A Walk to Remember
On the other hand, we have a movie I fell in love and watched dozens of times before I read the book. The book is okay, but it was too different. And I love the movie a lot more. If I'm only counting the movie when considering, this is my favorite book-to-movie adaptation.

03. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen || Pride & Prejudice
Yes, I know there are Janeites out there who scream in outrage at this movie. But I stand firm behind this decision. The casting was superb. Superb. Although I loved Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy, I did not care for any of the other casting in the miniseries. And while the miniseries technically follows the storyline better, there is something to be said for fabulous casting and gorgeous cinematography.

04. North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell || North & South
I'm bending the rules a little here, because this one is technically a mini-series, not a movie. But I don't even care. Plus, you just watch it like a long movie, so whatever. Richard Armitage as Mr. Thornton makes my life. I have so much love for this adaptation!

05. The Help by Kathryn Stockett || The Help
I was very impressed by how well they followed the story with this movie; I was expecting a lot more deviation and was impressed with how little they did. Plus, this movie is when I discovered my love for Emma Stone!

06. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee || To Kill a Mockingbird
Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch. Your argument is invalid.

07. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott || Little Women
Although there is no such thing as a perfect Little Women adaptation (except in my head, where I have pieced together actors/actresses from 3 different versions and created a dream cast), this is the best of the bunch. I grew up with it, and it will always be my favorite.

08. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by || Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Although the magic of these books can never quite be conveyed on film, the first one came pretty darn close. For the most part, I love the casting, and the set of Hogwarts looks like my imagination come to life. Throw in Peeves, and it would be near perfect.

The Worst
01. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling || Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Where did they go wrong? Well, the movies were mostly mediocre when compared to the books, but they hit a massive low with this one. I have huge issues with just about everything in this movie. They changed so many unnecessary things, and it killed me. And I absolutely abhor how Ginny and the Harry/Ginny relationship are portrayed in this film.

02. Twlight by Stephenie Meyer || Twilight
Oh, goodness. Spider monkey. The lack of chemistry. The lack of inner monologue, which makes the book make sense. If it weren't for Alice, Rosalie's shoes, and the pretty coloring of the film, I don't think I would have made it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment