This Week's Topic:
Instead of splitting this week's topic between the two of us, we decided to do our top 5 contemporary romance books and top 5 historical romance picks for romance beginners together!
Top Ten Books For Romance Beginners
01. Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas:Sugar Daddy is a good way to begin reading romance because it follows the life of Liberty from the age of 14. So YA readers will really enjoy this one because it has a lot of crossover appeal. Plus Sugar Daddy is kind of women's fiction but still definitely romance at its core, so new romance readers won't have a lot of different-category-book shock.
Anyone who reads Sugar Daddy NEEDS to follow it up with Blue-Eyed Devil and Smooth Talking Stranger, because they are just two of the most excellent romance books anyone can read!
After that, Lisa Kleypas has 35+other published books, all of them historical with the exception of 4, that are, again, some of the best romance books out there. Just pick any random Lisa Kleypas book and it's guaranteed to be good!
02. Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James
Julie James is simply one of the best contemporary romance writers, and starting with Practice Makes Perfect would be a good choice because 1) it's HILARIOUS and 2) it's pretty clean so people who aren't used to sex scenes won't be shocked. But really, any Julie James book is worth reading!
03. Bet Me by Jennifer Cruise
This a classic contemporary romance novel, and it's a classic for a reason. It's funny, sweet and just so enjoyable to read. Min and Calvin are so easy to love.
04. Yours to Keep by Shannon Stacey
A sweet and sexy romance. Definitely the best of the series and one you'll want to revisit.
05. Somebody to Love by Kristan Higgins
Slow and sexy, hate-to-love romance and small New England setting. WHY wouldn't you read it? Kristan Higgins is just one of the best.
01. The Duke and I by Julia Quinn
The Duke and I made many readers fall in love with romance thanks to Julia Quinn's excellent writing. Sweet romance? Check. Humor? Check. Awesome family? Check. Addictive? Check check check.
02. Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
03. Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
Lord of Scoundrels is like *THE* romance book. No really, there was a poll and everything and of out of all of the romance books out there, Lord of Scoundrels came on top with the first place spot. It reigned over a Lisa Kleypas book which is saying something because Lisa Kleypas is ya know, THE QUEEN.
04. Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros
A classic romance with a TWIST. It will be so easy for readers to fall in love with this book.
05. Confession from an Arranged Marriage by Miranda Neville
This was Racquel's first historical romance and it made her fall in love with this genre, so it's definitely a good recommendation! The slow burn, hate-to-love romance is probably the best I've ever read.
Can you tell that Racquel is typing up this post because the Lisa Kleypas fan-girling is extreme? She tried to control herself, but she's only human and she was born to love Lisa Kleypas.
But Ultimately true.