Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Our Top Favorite Books of the Year So Far

Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This Week's Topic:
Our Top Ten Favorite Books of the Year So Far
Racquel's picks

01. When I told Sharon that this week's topic is our favorite books of the year so far, I gave her my top ten list. The all said the same thing: Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas. I wasn't joking either! Dangerous Girls stands out because I read it on January 6th and here I am six months later. I cannot get it out of my head. I cannot stop recommending it to people. That doesn't happen often or even every year. This is the type of book that sneaks on you every now and then and puts itself in the favorite forever and ever shelf in your heart.

02. Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway is a book every contemporary YA reader should read. It's fun but oh so realistic. The friendship, the family, the romance... it's all spot on. 

03. The Chapel Wars by Lindsey Leavitt has the most delightful romance dialogue I ever read. This book killed me from the swoon.

04. There Will Come a Time by Carrie Arcos. Out of Reach by Arcos was one of my top favorites of 2012 so I've been impatiently waiting for There Will Come a Time and it did not disappoint! Arcos' books are beautiful. They will also make you cry!

05. The Star Thief by Jamie Grey. Space badassery FOR THE WIN! The bad ass, unapologetic heroine who owns her sexuality, the killer sexual tension and all the space fun made this book for me.


06. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost. I listened to the audiobook which just made the book even better for me. I listened to it on my commute to school and I actually sat in the parking garage for a few minutes because I didn't want to turn the audio off.

07. How the Marquess was Won, It Happened One Midnight and Between the Devil and Ian Eversea by Julie Anne Long. Cheating, I know but I can't choose a favorite! I've read all nine books that have been released in the Pennyroyal Green series and with the exception of two that I merely liked, I beyond loved the other 7. That is amazing. Everytime I say this is my new favorite Julie Anne Long book, the next book blows me away.

08. Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold and Beautiful Bad Man by Ellen O'Connell. Cheating once again but I couldn't pick one! Thank you Danielle for introducing me to Ellen O'Connell, writer of western historical romance feels. 

09. Love, In English by Karina Halle. I loved this book from the prologue and it never let me down after that. A messy, complicated romance but reading it was (personally) so touching. I don't like straightforward inspirational books because of the cheese (I don't like anything inspirational, period. I come from of family who have Callous Humor down to an art form) but Love, In English really worked for me because the book was gritty. 

10. Hard Time by Cara McKenna. The heroine is a librarian who meets the hero in prison where she teaches him how write. WINNER. I love how Cara McKenna doesn't shy away from writing truly dark things. For example, the hero and heroine live in a small town. This does not mean quirky and cute, it means shitty and no prospects. I liked that.

Sharon's Picks (she only had 5!)

01. Between the Devil and Ian Eversea by Julie Anne Long

02. Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway

03. Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

04. The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan

05. 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker
So, have you read any of our favorites? Let us know! Do you disagree with some of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment