Home About Policies Reviews Features

Friday, August 15, 2014

(Bout of Books 11) Sharon's Goals & Updates


When I see the phrase "Bout of Books," I tend to turn into a Veggie Tales character (It's time? It's time?! Did he just say it's time?! *cue bursting into song*) It's always a blast. The lack of face-to-face interaction. The eye fatigue. The phone shorting out from Twitter chat notifications. Kidding, kidding! Those are rookie mistakes. Well, except the whole interaction thing. But who needs all that noise, anyway? The important thing is reading! Reading for fun, chatting with new people, doing crazy challenges. It makes for a wonderful week, and I'm so excited the time is here! Thinking of joining in? You should! Head on over to the Bout of Books Blog for more info. I'm also a Bout of Books expert, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me here or on Twitter (@starsaloft)!


My Goals for Bout of Books 11

   • Read 2,000 pages from the following books
        → (I know, I know! I'm changing it up. Crazy talk! I thought I'd try the page count vs. book count thing and see how it works for me. Plus, this amount is pretty much equal to my normal goal of 6 books. And if I decide to sub Game of Thrones - which is a possibility, as it's almost in for me at the library, so I'm calling it an "official alternate" - I won't be tossing myself to the wolves.)
   • Discover some awesome new blogs and friends
   • Participate in one Twitter chat (I'm only available for one this time! *cries*)
   • Participate in four or more challenges


Books To Read

   01. It's in His Kiss by Jill Shalvis
   02. Ruin & Rising by Leigh Bardugo
   03. Bite Me by Shelly Laurenston
   04. My Faire Lady by Laura Wettersten
   05. The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith
   06. The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes
   07. The Chapel Wars by Lindsey Leavitt
   08. It Takes a Scandal by Caroline Linden

Updates

Monday, 8/18
Books Read Today:
  Completed: My Faire Lady by Laura Wettersten (352 pages), Bite Me by Shelly Laurenston (technically 375 pages, but I'm only counting 300, as I skimmed quite a bit).
  In-Progress:
Challenge: Scavenger Hunt at The Book Monsters. You can see my entries on my Instagram.
Total Books Read: 2
Total Pages Read: 652/2000 (33%)

Tuesday, 8/19
Books Read Today:
  Completed: The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith (337 pages), It's in His Kiss by Jill Shalvis (368 pages)
  In-Progress: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (56 pages)
Challenge: Challenge #01
Book Spine Poetry at My Little Pocketbooks

It Happened One Wedding
An Independent Woman
Free to Fall
The Duke in Disguise
Beguiled
A Game of Chance
Irresistible
And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake

Challenge #02
One True Pairing at Infinite Ink

This one is so hard.

There are SO MANY couples from books that I absolutely, positively adore, like Claire/Jamie (Outlander), Macy/Wes (The Truth About Forever), Elizabeth/Darcy (Pride and Prejudice), Sydney/Adrian (Bloodlines), etc. I get really into shipping. I mean, I don't read romance and heavy-on-the-romance YA because I hate fictional couples, hello. I tend to get very invested in my fictional characters. So if I were to try to declare one single couple I adore above all others, I would simply go insane.

Basically, there's no way to declare a true winner except the following:

I'm going off of cumulative hours logged reading about said couple, in which case the winner is easy: Draco/Hermione from Harry Potter. Because let me tell you, you don't even want to know how much fanfiction I've read for them. Pretty sure I don't even want to know. So there you have it! I love their dynamic, the possibility of the pairing. I love the hate-to-love story, and the idea that Draco was an intellectual equal of Hermione has always intrigued me. I should stop writing now, or the rest of my Bout of Books readathon is going to be spent on fanfiction instead of actual books...

Total Books Read: 4.08
Total Pages Read: 1413/2000 (71%)

Wednesday, 8/20
Books Read Today:
  Completed:
  In-Progress: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (260 pages)
Challenge: N/A
Total Books Read: 4.45
Total Pages Read: 1673/2000

Thursday, 8/21
Books Read Today:
  Completed:
  In-Progress: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (84 pages)
Challenge: If You Like This, Try This at Writing My Own Fairy Tale. My submission is: If you like Graceling by Kristin Cashore, try Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas because they are both YA fantasy with strong, awesome heroines.
Total Books Read: 4.58
Total Pages Read: 1757/2000

Friday, 8/22
Books Read Today:
  Completed: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (294 pages)
  In-Progress:
Challenge: N/A
Total Books Read: 5
Total Pages Read: 2051/2000 (Goal reached!)

Saturday, 8/23
Books Read Today:
  Completed:
  In-Progress: The Importance of Being Wicked by Miranda Neville (213 pages)
Challenge: Spell It Out at Kimberly Faye Reads. I love this challenge! It's such fun, but it's only as long or complicated as you make it! I went pretty simple this time with my name: Sharon.

Total Books Read: 5.57
Total Pages Read: 2264/2000

Sunday, 8/24
Books Read Today:
  Completed:
  In-Progress: The Importance of Being Wicked by Miranda Neville (100 pages)
Challenge: N/A
Total Books Read: 5.84
Total Pages Read: 2364/2000

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 7th and runs through Sunday, January 13th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books 11 team

No comments:

Post a Comment