Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Our Top Ten Favorite Heroines

Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This Week's Topic:
Top Ten Favorite Heroines
Racquel's picks, or the OWN YO SEXUALITY, GURL! picks:



01. Katsa—I still currently reading this but WHATEVER. Graceling is a new addition to my favorite bookshelf and Katsa is DEFINITELY a big reason why. It seems that people think that she's too feminist with an agenda and while I don't agree with Katsa on marriage (it's not for her. No freedom), I understand her reasoning and fuck yeah, girl! Be assertive in your views! Stand by your choices! Not all character actions have to reflect our own beliefs. So yeah, hit me with your feminist agenda all day.

02. Rose always says she's an "act first, think later" person and I love that. Not a lot of YA heroines are impulsive, outspoken and well, bitchy, like Rose. I really relate to these characteristics and love seeing such a popular heroine who has such a backbone. Rose forever and always. I will never not mention her when I do a favorites heroines post.

03. Cat is  another recent addition. I read The Master last week and I loved it because of Cat. She owned her sexuality. She was proud of her body and wasn't ashamed to flaunt it. She's feisty and headstrong and I freaking love her.

04. Sydney is the opposite of the heroines I've mentioned so far but hey, I like variety! Sydney shows some of the most extraordinary character development I've read about in the Bloodlines series. While she's super studious, by the book, follow the rules to the death (qualities which I absolutely do NOT possess), she's pretty dang amazing. Just shows that "strong" comes in many different flavors.

05. Renna—according to the summary Renna "is the most notorious thief in the galaxy". WHY would I not love Renna?! Renna took shit from NO ONE. Definitely not the hero, Finn, AND she's unapologetic about her sexuality and had so much agency. I cry. Please never stop writing heroines who get. shit. done.


06. Grace is a fucking MESS. She's whiny and constantly crying and she doesn't know how to handle her life in any aspect whatsoever. She's a gigantic messy mess. I love her.  I want to read about more people like Grace. They really are "unlikeable" which I love. Antiheroines for the win!

07. Tia—another character who owns her sexuality. I'm so predictable. Jennifer Echols is the ROCKSTAR of YA Heroines. She writes a lot of messy heroines who are challenging to the norm. Round of applause.

08. Tansy—historical romance heroines are ~special~. They're the wallflowers who don't enjoy the social scene or dancing or blahblahblah *eye roll*. Not Tansy! Tansy likes flirting, know's she's beautiful, and is enjoying the marriage mart hunt. YES please. She was all these things which are usually always portrayed as the vain mean girl in historical romance but not Tansy. She was human. She wanted a family and knew that meant a good match and meanwhile, she was enjoying her season. Dear Julie Anne Long, THANK YOU. Thank you for complex characters who are not just caricatures who fall into this or that boxes. 

09. Vera—another messy character, HOLLA! Vera liked drinking a tad too much and she generally just got trashed. I love that. Again, I love challenging heroines! LOVE THEM.


10.  Julie James writes successful contemporary romance heroines. A lot of contemporary romance heroines are starting over, moving back to a small town, going through break up or a divorce, in a rut, etc. etc. etc. I love reading about JJ heroines who have their SHIT TOGETHER before the hero waltzes in and ~heals~ them. Hallelujah.

Now, am I contradicting myself when it comes to Julie James heroines because I mentioned Grace and Vera who are trouble? No. I like all types of heroines. All of them. I love super bad ass women, the type JJ writes, because they're inspiring. I also love the antiheroines. The unlikeable-est of the unlikeable. That's what's different between the messy characters I've mentioned and the usual women of contemporary romance who are in a rut. Those women are essentially angelic. Characters like Grace and Vera are challenging.


Sharon's Picks
In no particular order, because these ladies are all AWESOME.

01. Celaena Sardothian from the Throne of Glass series! I love how strong and fierce she is. BUT at the same time, she is completely unashamed to love pretty dresses. And that makes me happy.

02. Katsa from Graceling. What can I say? I love a girl who can kick some butt. And knows what she wants (and doesn't want).

03. Sydney from the Bloodlines series. I love that Sydney has imperfections and insecurities. She is also incredibly smart and logical and talented.

04. Macy from The Truth About Forever. Macy is a major perfectionist and is dealing with grief. She grows a lot over the course of the book and gets to know herself and be more comfortable in her own skin. And that

05. Cath from Fangirl. I love how much of a fangirl Cath was. It was awesome to see that reflected in a book. But there was a lot more to her character, too.

06. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series. Smart girls who care deeply about things and aren't afraid to do somethi g about them for the win!

07. Jessica Trent from Lord of Scoundrels. This lady is fierce and strong and hilarious amd witty and takes no crap from anyone, least of all the hero.

08. Karana from Island of the Blue Dolphins. She was the reason I read that book like a gazillion times growing up.

09. Jo March from Little Women. I was much more of a Beth growing up, but I always wanted to be Jo. In fact, when I was little, I cut off my brunette Barbie's hair and named her Jo. My mother was not impressed.

10. Elizabeth Bennett. It wouldn't be a favorite heroine list without Lizzie Bennett. She is simply wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment