Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, September 5, 2011

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Title: Awaken
Author:
Katie Kacvinsky

Pages:
320

Published:
May 23, 2011

Publisher:
Houghton Mifflin Books for Children

Goodreads Summary:
Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.
Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.
In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.

Review:
I was completely INTRIGUED when I read the synopsis! It is unlike any other book that I've read. I think I would consider it a science fiction, but there is definitely some hot romance woven in between those pages. And that cover! I like how it actually means something. My interpretation of the cover: Since it's set in 2060, the natures of the world are scarce, and technology is getting so strong it is dominating nature. Grass and trees are replaced with plastic look-alikes. While nature is trapped inside of a jar, digital is on the outside of the jar, free.
Let me just say, the characters in the book were phenomenal. Especially the main characters Maddie and Justin. Justin was such, such, SUCH a deep and thoughtful character, I wish there were more boys out there like him. He definitely is one of a kind, and I could really see why Maddie was so dangerously attracted to him. AND MADDIE. She slowly learns that the digital world isn't all that. And that the real world is.
The plot was also sensational! There was many intense, action-packed moments, and also many life-lesson moments, which I loved. Katie Kacvinsky is such a strong writer, it makes me wonder how she thinks of all these life-lessons. It's unbelievable. The ending of the book really leaves the reader with many questions, so therefore I am very excited for the next installment!
Overall, this book was very well put together (as in the story line) and a very enjoyable and creative read. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone, just to see what our future could be like!


No comments:

Post a Comment