Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Abandon by Meg Cabot

Title: Abandon
Author: Meg Cabot
Pages: 304
Published: April 26, 2011
Publisher: Point
Goodreads Summary:
"Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back. 
But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid. 
Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most. 
But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld."

Review:
             FIRST. I didn't finish the book. Abandon is one of those books that I just couldn't finish, because of the content in it. I feel terrible saying that I didn't like MEG FREAKING CABOT'S book, but that's my honest opinion. Please don't hate.
             Let me tell you why. Well, her writing is exceptional, apart from the storyline. I loved the way she wrote, it all flowed together easily and I found my eyes just gliding across the page, it was that smooth.
             The plot had lots of flaws in it. The story of Hades and Persephone I am NOT familiar with, so I can't say how accurate or inaccurate the story was. But what I can tell you is that there were so many parts in the story that I felt was irrelevant to the main point of John and Pierce. I couldn't get my head around the idea of why Pierce's friend's death was so important to her relationship with John. I just couldn't.
              I got around halfway through the book when I decided to stop. Now most of the time, when I don't read a book for a week and stop in the middle of it, the next time I pick it back up, I lose complete interest. This might of been the case. But even before I stopped reading it, there were the flaws I couldn't grasp onto. The words were just going in one ear and out the other, and that was when I knew I had to stop reading Abandon.
               I was really disappointed with this one. The synopsis sounded SO AMAZING. And the cover... simply beautiful; black & gold. I'm not even sure if I want to read any more Hades & Persephone myths after this one. I didn't even like any of the characters in this book, they were so vague and distant to me.
               All in all, Abandon was not for me (at all). I hope that the next time I read Meg Cabot's book(s), I will change my opinion about her writing (in a positive way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment