Home About Policies Reviews Features

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Review: There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones

Title: There You'll Find Me 
Author: Jenny B. Jones
Published: October 4th 2011 by Thomas Nelson
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
Goodreads summary:
In a small cottage house in rural Ireland, Finley discovers she can no longer outrun the past.
When Finley travels to Ireland as a foreign exchange student, she hopes to create a new identity and get some answers from the God who took her brother away and seems to have left her high and dry.
But from the moment she boards the plane and sits by Beckett Rush, teen star of the hottest vampire flicks, nothing goes according to Finley's plan.
When she gets too close to Beckett, a classmate goes on a mission to make sure Finley packs her bags, departs Ireland-and leaves Beckett alone.
Finley feels the pressure all around. As things start to fall apart, she begins to rely on a not-so-healthy method of taking control of her life.
Finley tries to balance it all-disasters on the set of Beckett's new movie, the demands of school, and her growing romance with one actor who is not what he seems. Yet Finley is also not who she portrays to Beckett and her friends.
For the first time in her life, Finley must get honest with herself to get right with God.

Racquel's thoughts:
To be honest, I read the first couple of pages and was like “UGH, it’s going to be another cliché story that I waste my time on” and I actually got to chapter 3 and put it down & read something else. But when I picked it up again it completely surprised it me and I finished in in a couple of HOURS after that! Yes under a day!

What I liked most about the book is that I was not smothered by anything. It did have an “I know your type and I’m not falling for it” scenario but I didn’t mind because it wasn’t the main focus of the book and it wasn’t a complete big, dumb deal. We didn’t get countless pointless paragraphs on how Finley (the MC) hated Beckett (the romantic interest & major picture actor) and all he stood for and how most definitely she didn’t have feelings for him. It wasn’t an annoying she was in constant denial ‘I refuse to believe I like him’ book (thank goodness!) Yes, Finley didn’t like Beckett’s reputation but she grew to know him and she grew to genuinely like him. The relationship blossomed is a perfect way to put it and I couldn’t be happier about how everything developed.

Another thing I wasn’t smothered by is the religion motif of the book. I couldn’t see the book with out it and I didn’t even mind it! I doubt the book will be even as good if there wasn’t a religion factor. It was simply there, the author wasn’t trying to convert us and make us believers but she was telling a story of a girl who’s trying to restore her faith and I loved it. I’m not even Christian! I also liked the subtle play of Finley’s issue. It didn’t just pop in one chapter and just happen but it started as a small seed in chapter one and it slowly progressed until it was problem. There were elusive hints until it escalated to a bomb and I thought it was a perfect way to play it.

The book made me laugh out loud, the book made me tear up from heartbreak, the book was a cute romance and a great self-journey for the Finley and I LOVED it.

Rating: 5 hearts~ Truly a fantastic read!
First Line:
"Miss?" I pulled out an earbud as the flight attendant leaned over me.
Favorite:
You can talk to your dear old dad about anything you know. Except boys. And bras. And that Bieber fellow.
Teaser:
"If this is what young people are like today, then the whole world is doomed. Doomed, I say!"

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I REALLY want to read this now! Especially after reading your favorite line ;)

    ReplyDelete