Home About Policies Reviews Features

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Strong Heroines |Day 3|: Penelope from Romancing Mister Bridgerton

In celebration of International Women's Day on March 8th, we are highlighting a favorite strong heroine every day!
Racquel's pick: Penelope from Romancing Mister Bridgerton by


"Deep inside, she knew who she was, and that person was smart and kind and often funny, but somehow her personality got lost somewhere between her heart and her mouth,"
There are A LOT of shy heroines in both the romance genre but especially in YA. Which is fine. There is nothing wrong with being shy but there is only so many "wah wah I don't have any friends. Wah wah I'm so misunderstood. Wah wah let me draw/paint/sing/play an instrument to practice my underrated creativity. Wah wa- hot boy actually likes me!" scenarios I could handle before I CRAVE a heroine without 99 social problem. WHY does being shy mean that you don't have any friends or a life and you have a million and two problems? Being shy is not a disease or a disability.


"Deep inside, she knew who she was, and that person was smart and kind and often funny, but somehow her personality got lost somewhere between her heart and her mouth,"
I wish there were more characters like Penelope. She's stronger than strong! Being shy is not the end of the world. Yes, I understand sometimes it does cause problems and keeps a person from creating relationships and doing things they love but that's not always the case. I believe characters like Penelope can really speak to a reader because she proves that being shy is not such a negative thing and she doesn't need anyone to help her discover her inner voice, because she already did by HERSELF. Now, that's my type of strong!


No comments:

Post a Comment