Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Words/Phrases That Will Make Us Pick Up a Book {25}

Racquel:
01. Arranged marriage. I was going to say, don't judge me, but HA. I don't care so go ahead but I do love arranged marriages in fiction. In historical romance pretty much.
Favorites: by

02. Vampires. I, Racquel, just said that, YES. I love vampires.  I've always loved vampires. I will always love vampires and NO. Vampire books are not dead.
Favorites:  by


03. Marriage-in-trouble. Not a lot of romance readers like this one because it ruins the romance fantasy or whatever, I don't really understand it, but maybe because I'm not married but OH WELL. I like seeing couples fall back in love! Makes the romance even sweeter!
Favorites:  Not Quite a Husband and Ravishing the Heiress by Sherry Thomas 

04. Alternating 1st person POV between girl and guy main characters (okay, 10 key words). I just love this. It makes the romance a whole lot better and the book more interesting since we're in two different heads. It doesn't count if it's 3rd person though! Must be 1st person.
Favorites: by and by

05. LISA KLEYPAS. Automatically pre-ordered. Gettttttt it.
Favorites: god, I list my Lisa Kleypas favorites EVERY FREAKIN' WEEK. Just pick one. It's a favorite. Trust me.
Sharon:
01. Slow burn. Because hi, have you met me? If I see this phrase in a review of a book, I am guaranteed to pick it up unless there is something seriously offputting in the cover blurb. Basically, it's my favorite thing to read ever. Example: A Notorious Countess Confesses by Julie Anne Long

02. Any arrangement of the words "best," "friend," and "brother" (Best friend's brother, brother's best friend, YES TO ALL) Example: Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

03. Forbidden. Judge me all you want, but I freaking LOVE the forbidden aspect of relationships. Whether it's because it's a friend's ex, the heroine is his ward, he's a special agent in charge of her, WHATEVER. Regardless of the plot, if there are reasons for there to be angsting and longing and I-so-shouldn't-want-you-but-I-do dynamic, I am SO there (and the key to making this trope work is to make the ending caving/result good enough to live up to the build.) Example: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

04. Strong Heroine. There are few things I enjoy more than a good book with a strong female lead. Example: Graceling by Kristin Cashore

05. ALL THE FEELS. Yes, this term is making its way quickly into the "overused" category. But when I see this in a review, it always makes me take a second look. I love those books you don't just read; you experience. You feel everything through them. Example: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

No comments:

Post a Comment